Zoom on the Yamaha EF7200DE
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF7200DE is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Food truck owners and people participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF7200DE's build contains a gasoline-fueled 358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 6000W and also a peak wattage of 7200W.
The generator features a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included) and also a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 74.5 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the EF7200DE can also be remotely started (separate purchase).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 6.9 gallons, the EF7200DE can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.58 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
This Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, because the EF7200DE is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Yamaha EF7200DE has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L21.9 x W29 x H31.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 245.7 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
In addition, the device is equipped with a lift hook on the top of its frame, which provides extra safety during the loading, unloading and transport of the generator.
One of the many EF7200DE's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and voltage output and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Yamaha also included a tool kit in the EF7200DE's packaging.
The Yamaha EF7200DE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF7200DE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF7200DE compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 245.7 pounds, the Yamaha EF7200DE is one of the heavier generators producing between 5500 and 6500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Lifan LF7250, standing at just 140 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74.5 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Offering around 12 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the EF7200DE is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Cat RP5500, reaching around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.58 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Yamaha EF7200DE is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Remote start capable
- Acceptable noise (74.5 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the heavy side (245.7 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Electric, Recoil, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6000 W|
|Starting watts||7200 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||60/30 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours and voltage output|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||21.9 x 29 x 31.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74.5 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF7200DE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.