Zoom on the Yamaha EF7200DE
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF7200DE is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Food truck owners and participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF7200DE's engine, 358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 6000W and reaches a peak wattage of 7200W.
With a noise rating of 74.5 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator features a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included), but also a conventional pull-start mechanism. To add further convenience, the EF7200DE can be remotely started (separate purchase).
The EF7200DE can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.58 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6.9 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
This Yamaha generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, since the EF7200DE bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The design of the Yamaha EF7200DE is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L21.9 x W29 x H31.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 245.7 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
Further safety during transport, loading and unloading of the device is provided by a lift hook, which is placed on the top of the generator's frame.
Monitoring of the EF7200DE's status and activity is made possible by an illuminated data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and voltage output and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system).
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Yamaha also included a tool kit in the EF7200DE's packaging.
The Yamaha EF7200DE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF7200DE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF7200DE compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- At a dry weight of 245.7 pounds, the Yamaha EF7200DE is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 5500 and 6500 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Lifan LF7250, with a dry weight of just 140 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74.5 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- The EF7200DE, offering a run time of 12 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Cat RP5500, with 15 hours .
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.58 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.38 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Yamaha EF7200DE is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Remote start capable
- Acceptable noise (74.5 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the heavy side (245.7 lbs)
Where to buy the Yamaha EF7200DE?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Electric, Recoil, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6000 W|
|Starting watts||7200 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||60/30 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours and voltage output|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||21.9 x 29 x 31.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74.5 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF7200DE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.