Zoom on the Yamaha EF7200D
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF7200D is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF7200D's engine, 358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 6,000W and reaches a peak wattage of 7,200W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 74.5 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 6.9 gallons, the EF7200D may run for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.58 GPH).
The EF7200D is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<7%).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
This Yamaha generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, since the EF7200D bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L29.1 x W29 x H31.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Yamaha EF7200D offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 221.7 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
A lift hook, which is on the top of the frame, serves as an extra safety feature for the transport, unloading and loading of the device.
To help you monitor the EF7200D's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours and voltage.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Yamaha also included a tool kit in the EF7200D's packaging.
The Yamaha EF7200D is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF7200D versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF7200D compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- At a dry weight of 221.7 pounds, the Yamaha EF7200D is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 5500 and 6500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO, standing at just 118 lbs.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74.5 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 12 hours at 50% load, the EF7200D benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 6500, reaching around 14.5 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. As this generator uses an estimated 0.58 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the A-iPower SUA7000L, with a fuel consumption of 0.36 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Yamaha EF7200D is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Sensor
- GFCI Outlets
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (74.5 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (221.7 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6,000 W|
|Starting watts||7,200 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||60/30 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 6.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.1 x 29 x 31.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74.5 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and wheel kit|
|Country of origin||China|
|Other model numbers||EF72DZ|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, many of their models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF7200D is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4792 W||5792 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4795 W||5385 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4460 W||7160 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.