-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 6
Zoom on the Yamaha EF7200D
In summary, the Yamaha EF7200D is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF7200D houses a 358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 6,000W along with a peak wattage of 7,200W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74.5 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 6.9 gallons allows the EF7200D to operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.58 GPH).
The EF7200D is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<7%).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
Even though this Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the EF7200D is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Yamaha EF7200D has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L29.1 x W29 x H31.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 221.7 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
In addition, the device is equipped with a lift hook on the top of its frame, which provides extra safety during the loading, unloading and transport of the generator.
Monitoring of the EF7200D's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and voltage and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Yamaha also included a tool kit in the EF7200D's packaging.
The Yamaha EF7200D is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF7200D versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF7200D compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- A weight of 221.7 lbs makes the Yamaha EF7200D one of the heavier devices in the 5500-6500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar G65BN, with a dry weight of only 126 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74.5 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- Since the EF7200D boasts with a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 6500, boasting with around 14.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.58 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the A-iPower SUA7000L, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.36 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Yamaha EF7200D is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Sensor
- GFCI Outlets
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (74.5 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (221.7 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6,000 W|
|Starting watts||7,200 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||60/30 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 6.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.1 x 29 x 31.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74.5 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and wheel kit|
|Country of origin||China|
|Other model numbers||EF72DZ|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, many of their models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF7200D is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4792 W||5792 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4795 W||5385 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4460 W||7160 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.