Zoom on the Yamaha EF7200D
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF7200D is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Food truck owners and participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF7200D is powered by a 358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 6000W as well as a peak wattage of 7200W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 74.5 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The EF7200D can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.58 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6.9 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
This Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as the EF7200D holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The design of the Yamaha EF7200D is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L21.9 x W29 x H31.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 221.7 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit and a folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
A lift hook located on the top of the frame offers an additional safety feature while facilitating the transport, loading and unloading of the generator.
A digital data center, one of the features of the EF7200D’s control panel, gives you information on the voltage output and lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Yamaha also included a tool kit in the EF7200D's packaging.
The Yamaha EF7200D is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF7200D versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF7200D compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- At a dry weight of 221.7 pounds, the Yamaha EF7200D is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 5500 and 6500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Lifan LF7250, weighing just 140 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74.5 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Offering around 12 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the EF7200D is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Cat RP5500, with around 15 hours .
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.58 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.38 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Yamaha EF7200D is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Acceptable noise (74.5 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (221.7 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6000 W|
|Starting watts||7200 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||60/30 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours and voltage output|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||21.9 x 29 x 31.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74.5 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF7200D is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.