Zoom on the Yamaha EF7200D
In summary, the Yamaha EF7200D is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Food truck owners and people participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF7200D's core is the 358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 6000W and a peak wattage of 7200W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 74.5 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 6.9 gallons allows the EF7200D to operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.58 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
This Yamaha generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the EF7200D is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Yamaha EF7200D, which are L21.9 x W29 x H31.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 221.7 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit and a folding handle, with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
A lift hook located on the top of the frame offers an additional safety feature while facilitating the transport, loading and unloading of the generator.
Monitoring of the EF7200D's status and activity is made possible by an illuminated data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and voltage output and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Yamaha also included a tool kit in the EF7200D's packaging.
The Yamaha EF7200D is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF7200D versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF7200D compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- At a dry weight of 221.7 pounds, the Yamaha EF7200D is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 5500 and 6500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Lifan LF7250, standing at just 140 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74.5 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The EF7200D, offering a run time of 12 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.58 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.38 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Yamaha EF7200D is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Acceptable noise (74.5 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (221.7 lbs)
Where to buy the Yamaha EF7200D?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6000 W|
|Starting watts||7200 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||60/30 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours and voltage output|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||21.9 x 29 x 31.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74.5 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF7200D is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.