Zoom on the Yamaha EF6300iSDE
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is a quiet portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE's engine, 357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5500W and reaches a peak wattage of 6300W.
The inverter generator features a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
The fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons allows the EF6300iSDE to operate for up to 13.3 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH).
As the EF6300iSDE produces a clean sine wave, with a <4% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, because the EF6300iSDE is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
As the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is an inverter generator, its encased design (L30.7 x W24.3 x H27.2 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
As the generator's weight is 200 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its set of 4 wheels and its double handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the EF6300iSDE's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours and power output.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the generator is overloaded, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF6300iSDE compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 200 pounds, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is one of the heavier generators producing between 5000 and 6000 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE, with a dry weight of just 106.9 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 58 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The EF6300iSDE's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 13.3 hours at 25% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, which is able to run for up to 20 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Genmax GM5500i, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.27 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W inverter generators, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the expensive side
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (200 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6300 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||52.5/26.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||13.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 4.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.7 x 24.3 x 27.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4392 W||5492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3530 W||6230 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.