Zoom on the Yamaha EF6300iSDE
In summary, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is a quiet portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE's engine, 357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5,500W and reaches a peak wattage of 6,300W.
The inverter generator features a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
The EF6300iSDE can operate for up to 13.3 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the EF6300iSDE produces a clean sine wave, with a <4% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
While this Yamaha generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the EF6300iSDE is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L30.7 x W24.3 x H27.2 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 200 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its set of 4 wheels and its double handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the EF6300iSDE's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the power output and lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away. An official storage cover is available, as a separate purchase.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF6300iSDE compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- At a dry weight of 200 pounds, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 5000 and 6000 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE, with a dry weight of only 106.9 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Given that the EF6300iSDE reaches an autonomy of up to 13.3 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen6000, which is able to run for up to 18 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Genmax GM5500i, with a fuel consumption of 0.27 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the expensive side
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (200 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5,500 W|
|Starting watts||6,300 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||52.5/26.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||13.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 4.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.7 x 24.3 x 27.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4397 W||5872 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3530 W||6230 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.