Zoom on the Yamaha EF6300iSDE
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is a quiet portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE's core is the 357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5500W and a peak wattage of 6300W.
With a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home), the inverter generator features a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the EF6300iSDE can also be remotely started (separate purchase).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
The fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons allows the EF6300iSDE to operate for up to 13.3 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the EF6300iSDE generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <4% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Even though this Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the EF6300iSDE is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
Since the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is an inverter generator, its closed design (L30.7 x W24.3 x H27.2 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 200 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit and a double handle, with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
Monitoring of the EF6300iSDE's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the generator is on overload, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF6300iSDE compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- As its dry weight is 200 pounds, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 5000 to 6000 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Westinghouse WGen5300v, standing at just 107 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 58 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the EF6300iSDE, reaching up to 13.3 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, boasting with up to 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.34 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen5300v, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.24 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Remote start capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- On the heavy side (200 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6300 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||52.5/26.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||13.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 4.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||30.7 x 24.3 x 27.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.