Zoom on the Yamaha EF6300iSDE
In summary, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is a quiet portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE's engine, 357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5,500W and reaches a peak wattage of 6,300W.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
With a full tank, the EF6300iSDE can operate for up to 13.3 hours (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the EF6300iSDE generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <4% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
While this Yamaha generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the EF6300iSDE is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
Since the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is an inverter generator, its closed design (L30.7 x W24.3 x H27.2 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 216 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its set of 4 wheels and its double handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
One of the many EF6300iSDE's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the power output and lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, when the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is overloaded, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly. An official storage cover is available, as a separate purchase.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF6300iSDE compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 216 pounds, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is one of the heavier generators producing between 5000 and 6000 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE, standing at just 106.9 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 58 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- The EF6300iSDE, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 13.3 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen6000, reaching up to 18 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.27 GPH, the Genmax GM5500i is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W inverter generators, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Made in Japan
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the expensive side
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (216 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5,500 W|
|Starting watts||6,300 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||52.5/26.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||13.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 4.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.7 x 24.3 x 27.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Country of origin||Japan|
|Other model numbers||EF63ISDEX|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, many of their models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4397 W||5872 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3530 W||6230 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.