Zoom on the Yamaha EF6300iSDE
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is a quiet portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE is powered by a 357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5500W as well as a peak wattage of 6300W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
With a fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons, the EF6300iSDE may run for up to 13.3 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH).
The EF6300iSDE produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <4% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Yamaha generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, since the EF6300iSDE bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L30.7 x W24.3 x H27.2 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 200 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, thanks to its set of 4 wheels and its double handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the EF6300iSDE's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours and power output.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system).
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF6300iSDE compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- As its dry weight is 200 pounds, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 5000 to 6000 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN6000, weighing just 119 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 13.3 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the EF6300iSDE falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, which is able to run for up to 20 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv, with a fuel consumption of 0.26 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the expensive side
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (200 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6300 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||52.5/26.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||13.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 4.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.7 x 24.3 x 27.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4397 W||5872 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3530 W||6230 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.