Zoom on the Yamaha EF6300iSDE
In summary, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is a quiet portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE's engine, 357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5500W and reaches a peak wattage of 6300W.
With a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than rainfall), the inverter generator features a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the EF6300iSDE may also be remotely started (separate purchase).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
With a full tank, the EF6300iSDE can operate for up to 13.3 hours (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons.
The EF6300iSDE produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <4% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
Even though this Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the EF6300iSDE is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L30.7 x W24.3 x H27.2 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 200 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its double handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
One of the many EF6300iSDE's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is overloaded, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF6300iSDE compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- At a dry weight of 200 pounds, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 5000 and 6000 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Westinghouse WGen5300v, with a dry weight of just 107 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 58 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The EF6300iSDE’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 13.3 hours at 25% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen5300s, which is able to run for up to 20 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.34 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WGen5300v, with a fuel consumption of 0.24 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Yamaha EF6300iSDE is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (200 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6300 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||52.5/26.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||13.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 4.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.7 x 24.3 x 27.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF6300iSDE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4392 W||5892 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3530 W||6230 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.