-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 2
Zoom on the Yamaha EF5500DE
In summary, the Yamaha EF5500DE is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF5500DE's design includes a gasoline-fueled 358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 4,500W and also a peak wattage of 5,500W.
At a noise rating of 74.1 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the EF5500DE can operate for around 13.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.51 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 6.9 gallons.
As the EF5500DE has a relatively high THD (<7%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Even if this Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the EF5500DE is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Yamaha EF5500DE has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L29.1 x W29 x H31.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 238.1 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The generator comes with an additional safety feature, a lift hook on the top of its frame, which is helpful during its transport, loading and unloading.
One of the many EF5500DE's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and voltage and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Yamaha also included a tool kit in the EF5500DE's packaging.
The Yamaha EF5500DE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF5500DE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF5500DE compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- With its weight of 238.1 lbs, the Yamaha EF5500DE is one of the heavier generators in the 4000-5000 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN 56477i, with a dry weight of only 72.7 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 74.1 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Yamaha EF4500iSE. With just 58 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Since the EF5500DE boasts with a run time of around 13.5 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Dewalt DXGN4500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.51 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the WEN 56480iX, with a fuel consumption of 0.27 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W generators, the Yamaha EF5500DE is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Sensor
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (238.1 lbs)
- On the noisy side (74.1 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4,500 W|
|Starting watts||5,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 6.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.1 x 29 x 31.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74.1 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
|Country of origin||China|
|Other model numbers||EF55DEX|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, many of their models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF5500DE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3592 W||5092 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3590 W||4180 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.