Zoom on the Yamaha EF5500DE
In summary, the Yamaha EF5500DE is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF5500DE is powered by a 358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 4500W as well as a peak wattage of 5500W.
With a noise rating of 74.1 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator features a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included), but also a conventional pull-start mechanism. For additional convenience, the EF5500DE may also be remotely started (separate purchase).
With a full tank, the EF5500DE can operate for around 13.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.51 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 6.9 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
This Yamaha generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, as the EF5500DE holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Yamaha EF5500DE, which are L21.9 x W29 x H31.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 243.7 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Further safety during transport, loading and unloading of the device is provided by a lift hook, which is placed on the top of the generator's frame.
One of the many EF5500DE's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and voltage output and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Yamaha also included a tool kit in the EF5500DE's packaging.
The Yamaha EF5500DE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF5500DE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF5500DE compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- With its weight of 243.7 lbs, the Yamaha EF5500DE is one of the heavier generators in the 4000-5000 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Pulsar PG5250, weighing just 99.5 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 74.1 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Yamaha EF4500iSE, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 58 dBA.
- As the EF5500DE features an autonomy of 13.5 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Dewalt DXGN4500, with 15 hours .
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.51 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PG5250B, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.33 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W generators, the Yamaha EF5500DE is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Remote start capable
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the heavy side (243.7 lbs)
- On the noisy side (74.1 dBA)
Where to buy the Yamaha EF5500DE?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Electric, Recoil, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4500 W|
|Starting watts||5500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours and voltage output|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||21.9 x 29 x 31.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74.1 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF5500DE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.