Zoom on the Yamaha EF5500DE
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF5500DE is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF5500DE's engine, 358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 4,500W and reaches a peak wattage of 5,500W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 74.1 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 6.9 gallons, the EF5500DE can operate for around 13.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.51 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the EF5500DE is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<7%).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Even though this Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the EF5500DE is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Yamaha EF5500DE has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L29.1 x W29 x H31.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 238.1 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
Further safety during transport, loading and unloading of the device is provided by a lift hook, which is placed on the top of the generator's frame.
To help you monitor the EF5500DE's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours and voltage.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Yamaha also included a tool kit in the EF5500DE's packaging.
The Yamaha EF5500DE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF5500DE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF5500DE compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- At a dry weight of 238.1 pounds, the Yamaha EF5500DE is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 4000 and 5000 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN 56477i, with a dry weight of only 72.7 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 74.1 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Yamaha EF4500iSE, whose lowest noise levels reach just 58 dBA.
- With a run time of around 13.5 hours at 50% load, the EF5500DE has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Dewalt DXGN4500, reaching around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.51 GPH. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the WEN 56480iX, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.27 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (238.1 lbs)
- On the noisy side (74.1 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||358 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4,500 W|
|Starting watts||5,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 6.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.1 x 29 x 31.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74.1 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
|Country of origin||China|
|Other model numbers||EF55DEX|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, many of their models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF5500DE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3567 W||5042 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||3595 W||4015 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.