Zoom on the Yamaha EF4500iSE
In summary, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is a quiet portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF4500iSE's engine, 357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 4000W and reaches a peak wattage of 4500W.
At a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator offers the possibility to start the device via a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the EF4500iSE may also be remotely started (separate purchase).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons, the EF4500iSE can operate for up to 15.2 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.3 GPH).
The EF4500iSE generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Even though this Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L30.7 x W24.3 x H27.8 in), the Yamaha EF4500iSE, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 194 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a double handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
Monitoring of the EF4500iSE's status and activity is made possible by an illuminated data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, when the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Yamaha EF4500iSE comes with the usual documentation and user manual needed to get you promptly started.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF4500iSE compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- A weight of 194 lbs makes the Yamaha EF4500iSE one of the heavier devices in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Energizer eZV4500, weighing just 78 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 58 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Autonomy-wise, with 15.2 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the EF4500iSE is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen3600DF, which is able to run for 18 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.3 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.14 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Remote start capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- On the heavy side (194 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Yamaha EF4500iSE?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||15.2 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 4.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||30.7 x 24.3 x 27.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.