Zoom on the Yamaha EF4500iSE
In summary, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is a quiet portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF4500iSE's core is the 357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 4000W and a peak wattage of 4500W.
With a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb), the inverter generator features a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). The EF4500iSE can also be remotely started, offering further convenience. (separate purchase).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
With a fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons, the EF4500iSE may run for up to 15.2 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.3 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the EF4500iSE produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Even if this Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L30.7 x W24.3 x H27.8 in), the Yamaha EF4500iSE, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 194 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit and a double handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the EF4500iSE includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is overloaded, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Yamaha EF4500iSE comes with the usual documentation and user manual needed to get you promptly started.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF4500iSE compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a dry weight of 194 pounds, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the EF4500iSE, with an autonomy of up to 15.2 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen3600DF, reaching up to 18 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.3 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.14 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Remote start capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- On the heavy side (194 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||15.2 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 4.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||30.7 x 24.3 x 27.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.