Zoom on the Yamaha EF4500iSE
In summary, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is a quiet portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF4500iSE houses a 357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 4000W along with a peak wattage of 4500W.
At a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than rainfall), the inverter generator is started via a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons, the EF4500iSE can operate for up to 15.2 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.3 GPH).
The EF4500iSE generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Even though this Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
As the Yamaha EF4500iSE is an inverter generator, its encased design (L30.7 x W24.3 x H27.8 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
As the generator's weight is 194 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its set of 4 wheels and its double handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
One of the many EF4500iSE's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and power output and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF4500iSE compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As its dry weight is 194 pounds, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 3500 to 4500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cummins Onan P4500i with only 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the EF4500iSE, reaching up to 15.2 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Champion 200954, reaching up to 22 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.3 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.14 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (194 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||15.2 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 4.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.7 x 24.3 x 27.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||3187 W||4187 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3185 W||3605 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3160 W||4260 W|
Is it made in China? (Asked November 10, 2020)
The EF4500 is made in Japan.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.