Zoom on the Yamaha EF4500iSE
In summary, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is a quiet portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF4500iSE houses a 357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 4000W along with a peak wattage of 4500W.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the EF4500iSE may also be remotely started (separate purchase).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
With a fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons, the EF4500iSE may run for up to 15.2 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.3 GPH).
The EF4500iSE generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Even though this Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
As the Yamaha EF4500iSE is an inverter generator, its encased design (L30.7 x W24.3 x H27.8 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 194 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its double handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the EF4500iSE's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Yamaha EF4500iSE's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF4500iSE compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With its weight of 194 lbs, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is one of the heavier generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 58 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the EF4500iSE, reaching up to 15.2 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 100892, as it provides up to 22 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.3 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.14 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Remote start capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- No recoil back-up
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (194 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||15.2 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 4.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.7 x 24.3 x 27.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||3187 W||4187 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3185 W||3605 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3160 W||4260 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.