Zoom on the Yamaha EF4500iSE
In summary, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is a quiet portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF4500iSE's design includes a gasoline-fueled 357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 4000W and also a peak wattage of 4500W.
The inverter generator features a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
With a fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons, the EF4500iSE may run for up to 15.2 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.3 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the EF4500iSE produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
This Yamaha generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L30.7 x W24.3 x H27.8 in), the Yamaha EF4500iSE, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 194 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its set of 4 wheels and its double handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
One of the many EF4500iSE's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and power output and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Yamaha EF4500iSE also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), allowing you to start it right away.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF4500iSE compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 194 pounds, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is one of the heavier inverter generators producing between 3500 and 4500 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar type and power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- The EF4500iSE's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its type and power range, as it reaches only up to 15.2 hours at 25% load on a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.3 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Champion 200988, with a fuel consumption of 0.16 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W inverter generators, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (194 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||15.2 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 4.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.7 x 24.3 x 27.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Other model numbers||EF45ISEZ|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3192 W||4192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3190 W||3780 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3160 W||4260 W|
Is it made in China? (Asked November 10, 2020)
The EF4500 is made in Japan.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.