-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 23
Zoom on the Yamaha EF4500iSE
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is a quiet portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF4500iSE's core is the 357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 4,000W and a peak wattage of 4,500W.
At a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb), the inverter generator is started via a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
The EF4500iSE can operate for up to 15.2 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.3 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons.
The EF4500iSE produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Even if this Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L30.7 x W24.3 x H27.2 in), the Yamaha EF4500iSE, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Since the generator weighs 209 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its set of 4 wheels and its double handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the EF4500iSE includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the power output and lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is on overload, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Yamaha EF4500iSE comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started. An official storage cover is available, as a separate purchase.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF4500iSE compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With its weight of 209 lbs, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is one of the heavier inverter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar type and power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF with only 52 dBA.
- The EF4500iSE's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its type and power range, as it reaches only up to 15.2 hours at 25% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, which is able to run for up to 25 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.3 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Champion 200988. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.16 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W inverter generators, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Made in Japan
- On the expensive side
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (209 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4,000 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||15.2 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 4.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.7 x 24.3 x 27.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Country of origin||Japan|
|Other model numbers||EF45ISEZ|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, many of their models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3192 W||4192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3190 W||3780 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3160 W||4260 W|
Is it made in China? (Asked November 10, 2020)
The EF4500 is made in Japan.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.