Zoom on the Yamaha EF4500iSE
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is a quiet portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF4500iSE's engine, 357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 4000W and reaches a peak wattage of 4500W.
With a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator features a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the EF4500iSE can also be remotely started (separate purchase).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
With a fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons, the EF4500iSE may run for up to 15.2 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.3 GPH).
The EF4500iSE produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Even if this Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
As the Yamaha EF4500iSE is an inverter generator, its encased design (L30.7 x W24.3 x H27.8 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 194 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its double handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Monitoring of the EF4500iSE's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Yamaha EF4500iSE comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF4500iSE compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With its weight of 194 lbs, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is one of the heavier generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cummins Onan P4500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 15.2 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the EF4500iSE falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, which is able to run for up to 22 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.3 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.14 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Remote start capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- No recoil back-up
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (194 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||15.2 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 4.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.7 x 24.3 x 27.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||3187 W||4187 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3185 W||3605 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3160 W||4260 W|
Is it made in China? (Asked November 10, 2020)
The EF4500 is made in Japan.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.