Zoom on the Yamaha EF4500iSE
In summary, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is a quiet portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF4500iSE houses a 357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 4000W along with a peak wattage of 4500W.
With a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home), the inverter generator features a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). The EF4500iSE can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (separate purchase).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
The EF4500iSE can operate for up to 15.2 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.3 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the EF4500iSE produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Even if this Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
As the Yamaha EF4500iSE is an inverter generator, its encased design (L30.7 x W24.3 x H27.8 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
As the generator's weight is 194 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its double handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
To help you monitor the EF4500iSE's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the generator is on overload, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF4500iSE compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a dry weight of 194 pounds, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cummins Onan P4500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Given that the EF4500iSE reaches an autonomy of up to 15.2 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen3600DF, which is able to run for up to 18 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.3 GPH at a 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.14 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Yamaha EF4500iSE is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Remote start capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- On the heavy side (194 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||357 cc Yamaha MZ360 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||15.2 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 4.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.7 x 24.3 x 27.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF4500iSE is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3192 W||4192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3190 W||3780 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3160 W||4260 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.