Zoom on the Yamaha EF3000iSEB
In summary, the Yamaha EF3000iSEB is a quiet portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF3000iSEB's core is the 171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2,800W and a peak wattage of 3,500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 54.5 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
The fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons allows the EF3000iSEB to operate for up to 18.6 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the EF3000iSEB generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
While this Yamaha generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The Yamaha EF3000iSEB's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L26.8 x W17.5 x H21.9 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 156 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its set of 4 wheels and its double handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The device’s light indicators will display if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system).
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Yamaha EF3000iSEB's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The Yamaha EF3000iSEB is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF3000iSEB versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF3000iSEB compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 156 pounds, the Yamaha EF3000iSEB is one of the heavier inverter generators producing between 2500 and 3500 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of only 46 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 54.5 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar type and power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 18.6 hours at 25% load, the EF3000iSEB benefits from a higher run time than many inverter generators of a similar output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 200914, with up to 22 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Standing at an estimated 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV3500P. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.13 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the Yamaha EF3000iSEB is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (54.5 dBA)
- High run time
- Made in Japan
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (156 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2,800 W|
|Starting watts||3,500 W|
|Running amps||23.3 amps|
|Peak amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||18.6 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.8 x 17.5 x 21.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||54.5 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Country of origin||Japan|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, many of their models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF3000iSEB is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2237 W||3237 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2230 W||2650 W|
|Total||2210 W||3310 W|
What kind if oil is needed (Asked June 21, 2021)
For general, all-temperature use, SAE 10W-30 is recommended.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.