Zoom on the Yamaha EF3000iSEB
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF3000iSEB is a quiet portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF3000iSEB's engine, 171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2800W and reaches a peak wattage of 3500W.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
The EF3000iSEB can operate for up to 18.6 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons.
As the EF3000iSEB produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 12A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Even though this Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L26.8 x W17.5 x H21.9 in), the Yamaha EF3000iSEB, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
As the generator's weight is 154.3 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its double handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
When the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Yamaha EF3000iSEB comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Yamaha EF3000iSEB is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF3000iSEB versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF3000iSEB compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- With its weight of 154.3 lbs, the Yamaha EF3000iSEB is one of the heavier generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 53 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 18.6 hours at 25% load, the EF3000iSEB benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EU3000iS, as it provides up to 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Standing at an estimated 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Energizer eZV3200P, with a fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Yamaha EF3000iSEB is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (154.3 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2800 W|
|Starting watts||3500 W|
|Running amps||23.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||18.6 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 12A receptacle|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.8 x 17.5 x 21.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF3000iSEB is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2237 W||3237 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2230 W||2650 W|
|Total||2210 W||3310 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.