Zoom on the Yamaha EF3000iSEB
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF3000iSEB is a quiet portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF3000iSEB is powered by a 171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 2,800W as well as a peak wattage of 3,500W.
With a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
With a fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons, the EF3000iSEB may run for up to 18.6 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
The EF3000iSEB produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
This Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
As the Yamaha EF3000iSEB is an inverter generator, its encased design (L26.8 x W17.5 x H21.9 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 154.3 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its set of 4 wheels and its double handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
When the generator is overloaded, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Yamaha EF3000iSEB also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), allowing you to start it right away.
The Yamaha EF3000iSEB is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF3000iSEB versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF3000iSEB compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- With its weight of 154.3 lbs, the Yamaha EF3000iSEB is one of the heavier inverter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, weighing just 46 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 53 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU3000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 50 dBA.
- As the EF3000iSEB features an autonomy of up to 18.6 hours at 25% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its type and power range. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 200914, with up to 22 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3500P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the Yamaha EF3000iSEB is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (154.3 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2,800 W|
|Starting watts||3,500 W|
|Running amps||23.3 amps|
|Peak amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||18.6 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.8 x 17.5 x 21.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF3000iSEB is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2237 W||3237 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2230 W||2650 W|
|Total||2210 W||3310 W|
What kind if oil is needed (Asked June 21, 2021)
For general, all-temperature use, SAE 10W-30 is recommended.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.