Zoom on the Yamaha EF2800i
In summary, the Yamaha EF2800i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2800i houses a 171 cc (5.5 hp) Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 2500W along with a peak wattage of 2800W.
With a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
With a fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons, the EF2800i may run for up to 14.7 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
As the EF2800i produces a clean sine wave, with a <2.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 10A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Yamaha generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
With its dimensions of L19.2 x W15.6 x H16.7 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Yamaha EF2800i offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
The 68 lbs of the EF2800i's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Yamaha EF2800i's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Yamaha EF2800i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2800i compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- As for its weight, the Yamaha EF2800i weighs only 68 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 2000-3000 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Westinghouse iGen2500 with only 48 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest noise of 65 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- As the EF2800i offers 14.7 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen2500, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.1 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Yamaha EF2800i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Lightweight (68 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
Where to buy the Yamaha EF2800i?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2500 W|
|Starting watts||2800 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||23.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||14.7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 10A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 2.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||19.2 x 15.6 x 16.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.