This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
You might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Yamaha EF2800i
In summary, the Yamaha EF2800i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2800i's core is the 171 cc (5.5 hp) Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2,500W and a peak wattage of 2,800W.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
The fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons allows the EF2800i to operate for up to 14.7 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the EF2800i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <2.5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 10A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Even though this Yamaha generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The design of the Yamaha EF2800i is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L19.2 x W15.6 x H16.7 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 68 lbs, the EF2800i can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
When the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is on overload, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Yamaha EF2800i's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Yamaha EF2800i is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2800i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Yamaha EF2800i stands at only 68 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter inverters of the 2000-3000 rated wattage category If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN 56360i with only 46.3 pounds.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 65 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- As the EF2800i features an autonomy of up to 14.7 hours at 25% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its type and power range. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EU3000iS, boasting with up to 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Cummins Onan P2500i. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.1 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight (68 lbs)
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2,500 W|
|Starting watts||2,800 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peak amps||23.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||14.7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 10A receptacle|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.2 x 15.6 x 16.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, many of their models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1792 W||2792 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1990 W||2580 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1650 W||2750 W|