This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
You might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Yamaha EF2800i
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF2800i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2800i's core is the 171 cc (5.5 hp) Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2500W and a peak wattage of 2800W.
With a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
The EF2800i can operate for up to 14.7 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the EF2800i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <2.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 10A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Yamaha generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
The dimensions of the Yamaha EF2800i, which are L19.2 x W15.6 x H16.7 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
With a dry weight of 68 lbs, the EF2800i can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
The device’s light indicators will display if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Yamaha EF2800i comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Yamaha EF2800i is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2800i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- As for its weight, the Yamaha EF2800i weighs only 68 pounds, making it one of the lighter inverter generators in the 2000-3000 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Ford FG2300iS with only 46.3 pounds.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 65 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU3000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 50 dBA.
- Since the EF2800i boasts with a run time of up to 14.7 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most inverter generators of a comparable output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EU3000iS, which is able to run for up to 20 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen2500, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.1 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight (68 lbs)
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2500 W|
|Starting watts||2800 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peak amps||23.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||14.7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 10A receptacle|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.2 x 15.6 x 16.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1792 W||2792 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1990 W||2580 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1650 W||2750 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.