Zoom on the Yamaha EF2600
In summary, the Yamaha EF2600 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2600's engine, 171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2300W and reaches a peak wattage of 2600W.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 2.9 gallons, the EF2600 may run for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
With its dimensions of L20.1 x W16.3 x H16.7 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Yamaha EF2600 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
The EF2600's dry weight of 92.6 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
One of the many EF2600's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Yamaha EF2600's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The Yamaha EF2600 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2600 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2600 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its dry weight is 92.6 pounds, the Yamaha EF2600 is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 1500 to 2500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Champion 200949 with only 38.6 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 68 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Offering up to 11 hours of running time on a full tank at 25% load, the EF2600 is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.26 GPH. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Yamaha EF2600 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (92.6 lbs)
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2300 W|
|Starting watts||2600 W|
|Running amps||19.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||21.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 2.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.1 x 16.3 x 16.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2600 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1562 W||2562 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1830 W||2250 W|
|Total||1480 W||2580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.