Zoom on the Yamaha EF2400iSHC
In summary, the Yamaha EF2400iSHC is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC houses a 171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 2000W along with a peak wattage of 2400W.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
With a fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon, the EF2400iSHC may run for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH).
As the EF2400iSHC produces a clean sine wave, with a <2.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L20.8 x W16.5 x H18.2 in), the Yamaha EF2400iSHC, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The EF2400iSHC can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 75 lbs. Additionally, a conveniently placed double handle is a great enhancement to the grip, which tremendously helps when moving the EF2400iSHC across any distance.
The light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is overloaded.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system).
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Yamaha also included a battery charging cables in the EF2400iSHC's packaging.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2400iSHC compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- With its weight of 75 lbs, the Yamaha EF2400iSHC is one of the heavier generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Champion 200949, weighing just 38.6 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 53 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The EF2400iSHC, offering a run time of up to 11 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.15 GPH. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Yamaha EF2400iSHC is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (75 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2000 W|
|Starting watts||2400 W|
|Running amps||16.7 amps|
|Peak amps||20 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.8 x 16.5 x 18.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1595 W||2295 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1590 W||2180 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1590 W||1590 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.