This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
You might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Yamaha EF2400iSHC
In summary, the Yamaha EF2400iSHC is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC houses a 171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 2000W along with a peak wattage of 2400W.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than rainfall). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
With a full tank, the EF2400iSHC can operate for up to 11 hours (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon.
The EF2400iSHC generates a clean sine wave: providing <2.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Since the Yamaha EF2400iSHC is an inverter generator, its closed design (L20.8 x W16.5 x H18.2 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
With a dry weight of 75 lbs, the EF2400iSHC can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, shifting it is an easy task, as the EF2400iSHC features a nifty double handle, improving your grip greatly.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Yamaha also included a battery charging cables in the EF2400iSHC's packaging.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2400iSHC compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- With its weight of 75 lbs, the Yamaha EF2400iSHC is one of the heavier generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Champion 200949, weighing just 38.6 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 53 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The EF2400iSHC, offering a run time of up to 11 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.15 GPH. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
The bottom line
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (75 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2000 W|
|Starting watts||2400 W|
|Running amps||16.7 amps|
|Peak amps||20 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.8 x 16.5 x 18.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1387 W||2387 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1580 W||2000 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1590 W||1590 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.