This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
You might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Yamaha EF2400iSHC
In summary, the Yamaha EF2400iSHC is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC's engine, 171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2,000W and reaches a peak wattage of 2,400W.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than rainfall).
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
With a full tank, the EF2400iSHC can operate for up to 11 hours (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon.
As the EF2400iSHC produces a clean sine wave, with a <2.5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L20.8 x W16.5 x H18.2 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
With a dry weight of 75 lbs, the EF2400iSHC can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, shifting it is an easy task, as the EF2400iSHC features a nifty double handle, improving your grip greatly.
The light indicators show you if the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Yamaha also included a battery charging cables in the EF2400iSHC's packaging.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2400iSHC compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- With its weight of 75 lbs, the Yamaha EF2400iSHC is one of the heavier inverter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM2000i, standing at just 34.2 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 53 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar type and power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 11 hours at 25% load, the EF2400iSHC benefits from a higher run time than many inverter generators of a similar output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Yamaha EF2800i, boasting with up to 14.7 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.15 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the DuroMax XP2300iH, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- High run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (75 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2,000 W|
|Starting watts||2,400 W|
|Running amps||16.7 amps|
|Peak amps||20 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.8 x 16.5 x 18.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1387 W||2387 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1580 W||2000 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1590 W||1590 W|