Zoom on the Yamaha EF2400iSHC
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF2400iSHC is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC's build contains a gasoline-fueled 171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 2000W and also a peak wattage of 2400W.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than rainfall). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon, the EF2400iSHC can operate for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the EF2400iSHC generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <2.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L20.8 x W16.5 x H18.2 in), the Yamaha EF2400iSHC, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
With a dry weight of 75 lbs, the EF2400iSHC can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Furthermore, moving the EF2400iSHC from A to B is made easier thanks a convenient double handle, which vastly improves your grip.
When the generator is on overload, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Yamaha also included a battery charging cables in the EF2400iSHC's packaging.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2400iSHC compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a dry weight of 75 pounds, the Yamaha EF2400iSHC is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 1500 and 2500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN 56202i, weighing just 38.6 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 53 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Given that the EF2400iSHC reaches an autonomy of 11 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for 26 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.15 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Energizer eZV2000P is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Yamaha EF2400iSHC is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (75 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Yamaha EF2400iSHC?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2000 W|
|Starting watts||2400 W|
|Running amps||16.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||20 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||20.8 x 16.5 x 18.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.