Zoom on the Yamaha EF2400iSHC
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF2400iSHC is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC's engine, 171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2000W and reaches a peak wattage of 2400W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
With a full tank, the EF2400iSHC can operate for up to 11 hours (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon.
The EF2400iSHC produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <2.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As the Yamaha EF2400iSHC is an inverter generator, its encased design (L20.8 x W16.5 x H18.2 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The 75 lbs of the EF2400iSHC's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. In addition, its nifty double handle improves your grip, allowing for an easy displacement of the EF2400iSHC from place to place.
The device’s light indicators will display if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Yamaha also included a battery charging cables in the EF2400iSHC's packaging.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2400iSHC compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- With its weight of 75 lbs, the Yamaha EF2400iSHC is one of the heavier generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 200949, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 53 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- As the EF2400iSHC offers up to 11 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.15 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Predator 2000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Yamaha EF2400iSHC is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- On the heavy side (75 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||171 cc Yamaha MZ175 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2000 W|
|Starting watts||2400 W|
|Running amps||16.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||20 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.8 x 16.5 x 18.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1387 W||2387 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1580 W||2000 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1590 W||1590 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.