Zoom on the Yamaha EF2200iS
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF2200iS is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2200iS's core is the 79 cc Yamaha MZ80 OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1,800W and a peak wattage of 2,200W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (Twin Tech cable (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 57 dBA (less noisy than rainfall). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.24 gallon, the EF2200iS can operate for up to 10.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.12 GPH).
The EF2200iS produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <2.5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 3A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Yamaha generator is RV Ready.
The Yamaha EF2200iS's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L21.9 x W11.8 x H18.5 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The EF2200iS's dry weight of 55.2 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Furthermore, moving the EF2200iS from A to B is made easier thanks to its convenient triple handle (molded in the case), which vastly improves your grip.
To help you monitor the EF2200iS's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the power output.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the generator is overloaded and its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Yamaha EF2200iS's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The Yamaha EF2200iS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2200iS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2200iS compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a dry weight of 55.2 pounds, the Yamaha EF2200iS is one of the heavier inverters which can produce between 1500 and 2500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM2000i, weighing just 34.2 pounds.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 57 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- The EF2200iS, offering a run time of up to 10.5 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, as it provides up to 13 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.12 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroMax XP2300iH. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Yamaha EF2200iS is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Sensor
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (57 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (55.2 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc Yamaha MZ80 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,800 W|
|Starting watts||2,200 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||10.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 3A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output|
|Indicators||Low oil and overload|
|Fuel tank||1.24 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21.9 x 11.8 x 18.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2200iS is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.