Zoom on the Yamaha EF2200iS
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF2200iS is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2200iS houses a 79 cc Yamaha MZ80 OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1800W along with a peak wattage of 2200W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (Twin Tech cable (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
At a noise rating of 57 dBA (less noisy than rainfall), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
The EF2200iS can operate for up to 10.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.12 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.24 gallon.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the EF2200iS generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <2.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 3A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Yamaha generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L21.9 x W11.8 x H18.5 in), the Yamaha EF2200iS, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
As the EF2200iS's weight is only 55.2 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Furthermore, moving the EF2200iS from A to B is made easier thanks to its convenient triple handle (molded in the case), which vastly improves your grip.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is on overload.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Yamaha EF2200iS also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual, allowing you to start it right away.
The Yamaha EF2200iS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2200iS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2200iS compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a weight of 55.2 pounds, the Yamaha EF2200iS places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 57 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- The EF2200iS, offering a run time of up to 10.5 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with up to 26 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.12 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Predator 2000 is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Yamaha EF2200iS is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (55.2 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (57 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc Yamaha MZ80 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||10.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 3A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil and overload|
|Fuel tank||1.24 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21.9 x 11.8 x 18.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2200iS is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.