Zoom on the Yamaha EF2200iS
In summary, the Yamaha EF2200iS is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2200iS's design includes a gasoline-fueled 79 cc Yamaha MZ80 OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1800W and also a peak wattage of 2200W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (Twin Tech cable (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
At a noise rating of 57 dBA (less noisy than rainfall), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.24 gallon, the EF2200iS can operate for up to 10.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.12 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the EF2200iS generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <2.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 3A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This Yamaha generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L21.9 x W11.8 x H18.5 in), the Yamaha EF2200iS, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The 55.2 lbs of the EF2200iS's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. In addition, its nifty triple handle (molded in the case) improves your grip, allowing for an easy transport of the EF2200iS from place to place.
The control panel of the EF2200iS includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the power output.
In addition to this info, when the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Yamaha EF2200iS's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Yamaha EF2200iS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2200iS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2200iS compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a weight of 55.2 pounds, the Yamaha EF2200iS places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of only 34.2 lbs.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 57 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- Given that the EF2200iS reaches an autonomy of up to 10.5 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WH2200iXLT, boasting with up to 13 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.12 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV2200P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Yamaha EF2200iS is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (55.2 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (57 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the expensive side
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc Yamaha MZ80 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||10.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 3A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output|
|Indicators||Low oil and overload|
|Fuel tank||1.24 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21.9 x 11.8 x 18.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Other model numbers||EF2200iSY|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2200iS is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.