Zoom on the Yamaha EF2200iS
In summary, the Yamaha EF2200iS is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2200iS's engine, 79 cc Yamaha MZ80 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1800W and reaches a peak wattage of 2200W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (Twin Tech cable not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
At a noise rating of 57 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home), the inverter generator offers the possibility to start the device via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
With a full tank, the EF2200iS can operate for up to 10.5 hours (fuel consumption around 0.12 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.24 gallon.
The EF2200iS produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <2.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 3A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This Yamaha generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Yamaha EF2200iS is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L21.9 x W11.8 x H18.5 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The 55.2 lbs of the EF2200iS's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. In addition, its nifty triple handle (molded in the case) improves your grip, allowing for an easy displacement of the EF2200iS from place to place.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Yamaha EF2200iS's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Yamaha EF2200iS is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2200iS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2200iS compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 55.2 lbs, the Yamaha EF2200iS belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN 56202i, weighing just 38.6 pounds.
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 57 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Given that the EF2200iS reaches an autonomy of up to 10.5 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with up to 26 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.12 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Predator 2000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Yamaha EF2200iS is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (55.2 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (57 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc Yamaha MZ80 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||10.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 3A|
|Indicators||Low oil, output and overload|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||21.9 x 11.8 x 18.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2200iS is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.