Zoom on the Yamaha EF2000iSCHv2
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF2000iSCHv2 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2000iSCHv2 houses a 79 cc Yamaha MZ80 OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1600W along with a peak wattage of 2000W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (Twin Tech cable (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 51.5 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon, the EF2000iSCHv2 can operate for up to 10.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
As the EF2000iSCHv2 produces a clean sine wave, with a <2.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Yamaha EF2000iSCHv2's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L19.3 x W11 x H17.9 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Weighing just 44.1 lbs, the EF2000iSCHv2 can be considered a lightweight portable generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
When its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Yamaha EF2000iSCHv2 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Yamaha EF2000iSCHv2 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2000iSCHv2 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2000iSCHv2 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Yamaha EF2000iSCHv2 only weighs in at 44.1 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Champion 200949, weighing just 38.6 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 51.5 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The EF2000iSCHv2, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 10.5 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching up to 26 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Yamaha EF2000iSCHv2 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (44.1 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (51.5 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc Yamaha MZ80 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W|
|Running amps||13.3 amps|
|Peak amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||10.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.3 x 11 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||51.5 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Other model numbers||EF2000iSv2Camo|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2000iSCHv2 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1270 W||1860 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1260 W||1260 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.