Zoom on the Yamaha EF2000iSHv2
In summary, the Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 is powered by a 79 cc Yamaha MZ80 OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1600W as well as a peak wattage of 2000W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (Twin Tech cable (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 51.5 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon, the EF2000iSHv2 can operate for up to 10.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
The EF2000iSHv2 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <2.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Since the Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L19.3 x W11 x H17.9 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Weighing just 44.1 lbs, the EF2000iSHv2 can be considered a lightweight portable generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 only weighs in at 44.1 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 51.5 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- As the EF2000iSHv2 offers up to 10.5 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching up to 26 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (44.1 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (51.5 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc Yamaha MZ80 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W|
|Running amps||13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||10.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.3 x 11 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||51.5 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1270 W||1860 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1260 W||1260 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.