Zoom on the Yamaha EF2000iSHv2
In summary, the Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF2000iSHv2's engine, 79 cc Yamaha MZ80 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1600W and reaches a peak wattage of 2000W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (Twin Tech cable (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 51.5 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
The fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon allows the EF2000iSHv2 to operate for up to 10.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
The EF2000iSHv2 generates a clean sine wave: providing <2.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
As the Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L19.3 x W11 x H17.9 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the EF2000iSHv2 weighs just 44.1 lbs. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
The light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Yamaha EF2000iSHv2's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 weighs just 44.1 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 1500 to 2500 rated wattage generators. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 51.5 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- The EF2000iSHv2, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 10.5 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with up to 26 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Predator 2000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (44.1 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (51.5 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc Yamaha MZ80 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W|
|Running amps||13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||10.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.3 x 11 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||51.5 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF2000iSHv2 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1270 W||1860 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1260 W||1260 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.