Zoom on the Yamaha EF1000iS
In summary, the Yamaha EF1000iS is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF1000iS's design includes a gasoline-fueled 50 cc Yamaha MZ50 OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 900W and also a peak wattage of 1000W.
Enjoying a really low noise rating of 47 dBA (less noisy than a library) which secured it a place in our list of the 10 quietest portable generators, the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
The EF1000iS can operate for up to 11.9 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.06 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 0.66 gallon.
As the EF1000iS produces a clean sine wave, with a <2.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The Yamaha EF1000iS's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L17.7 x W9.4 x H14.9 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Weighing just 27.9 lbs, the EF1000iS can be considered a lightweight portable generator. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
Good to know: This unit ranks 5th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is overloaded.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Yamaha EF1000iS comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Yamaha EF1000iS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF1000iS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF1000iS compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- As for its weight, the Yamaha EF1000iS weighs only 27.9 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of just 20.3 pounds.
- With a lowest possible noise of 47 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU1000i. With just 42 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- With a run time of up to 11.9 hours at 25% load, the EF1000iS has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Powermate PM2000, boasting with up to 14 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator can be considered as one of the most fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.06 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Yamaha EF1000iS is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Lightweight (27.9 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (47 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
Features and Specifications
|Engine||50 cc Yamaha MZ50 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peak amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.9 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 15A (5-15R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.66 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.7 x 9.4 x 14.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||47 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF1000iS is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Rice cooker||650||650|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||705 W||705 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||575 W||995 W|
|For work||Paint sprayer||600||600|
|Total||680 W||680 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.