This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
If you were looking to purchase it, you may want to have a look at the Honda EU1000i, which has similar specs.
You can also try to find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Yamaha EF1000iS
In a nutshell, the Yamaha EF1000iS is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
Power & Run Time
The Yamaha EF1000iS houses a 50 cc Yamaha MZ50 OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 900W along with a peak wattage of 1,000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 47 dBA (less noisy than a library), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
This generator features Yamaha's Smart Throttle™. This load-sensing feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match its load in order to offer greater fuel efficiency and noise reduction.
The fuel capacity of 0.66 gallon allows the EF1000iS to operate for up to 11.9 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.06 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the EF1000iS generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <2.5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As the Yamaha EF1000iS is an inverter generator, its encased design (L17.7 x W9.4 x H14.9 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the EF1000iS weighs just 27.9 lbs. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Watch system) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Yamaha's Oil Watch warning system gives you an extra peace of mind. This feature enhances long-term durability by preventing engine damage and costly repairs. Once the oil begins to run low, the generator automatically shuts off and cannot be re-started until oil is added.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Yamaha EF1000iS's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The Yamaha EF1000iS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Yamaha EF1000iS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Yamaha EF1000iS compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Yamaha EF1000iS has only 27.9 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 500 to 1500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of just 20.3 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 47 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU1000i. With just 42 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 11.9 hours at 25% load, the EF1000iS benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Powermate PM2000, boasting with up to 14 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.06 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the most fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range.
The bottom line
- Lightweight (27.9 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (47 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
Features and Specifications
|Engine||50 cc Yamaha MZ50 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1,000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peak amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.9 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 15A (5-15R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.66 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.7 x 9.4 x 14.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||47 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
With a rich history of over 130 years, the Japanese based Yamaha Corporation, founded in 1887, has tipped its fingers in every industry imaginable, most notably motorcycles, musical instruments and electronics. The company boasts with a wide range of products, including many of the top rated portable generators. However, it has been reported that many of the newer models are made in China, rather than Japan.
The Yamaha EF1000iS is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Yamaha generators, please consult Yamaha's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-962-7926.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Rice cooker||650||650|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||705 W||705 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||575 W||995 W|
|For work||Paint sprayer||600||600|
|Total||680 W||680 W|