Zoom on the Westinghouse WPro8500
In summary, the Westinghouse WPro8500 is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners and people participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WPro8500 is powered by a 457 cc (13.5 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 8500W as well as a peak wattage of 11500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). The WPro8500 can also be remotely started, offering further convenience. (key fob included).
The fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons allows the WPro8500 to operate for up to 17.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.38 GPH).
The WPro8500 generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The full GFCI control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
This Westinghouse generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the WPro8500 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L27.5 x W27.5 x H25.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Westinghouse WPro8500 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 216 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Never less, thanks to a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
Further safety during transport, loading and unloading of the device is provided by a lift hook, which is placed on the top of the generator's frame.
The WPro8500 and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual, which lets you start it right away, the Westinghouse WPro8500 also is packed along with the following accessories: battery charger, oil, key fob, funnel and tool kit.
The Westinghouse WPro8500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WPro8500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WPro8500 compare to generators of similar power (between 8000 and 9000 W).
- At a weight of 216 pounds, the Westinghouse WPro8500 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 8000-9000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Lifan LF8750iEPL, standing at just 185 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the A-iPower SUA12000ED, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 69 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 17.5 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the WPro8500 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WPro8500, with up to 17.5 hours .
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.38 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8000-9000W generators, the Westinghouse WPro8500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Full GFCI panel
- Remote start
- Clean sine wave
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (216 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||457 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||8500 W|
|Starting watts||11500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||95.8/47.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||17.5 h|
|GFCI outlets||Full panel|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.5 x 27.5 x 25.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob and battery charger|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WPro8500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.