Zoom on the Westinghouse WH7500v
In summary, the Westinghouse WH7500v is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WH7500v's design includes a gasoline-fueled 420 cc (13 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 6000W and also a peak wattage of 7500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the WH7500v can operate for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH).
The quite high THD (<23%) of the WH7500v makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Because the WH7500v is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Westinghouse WH7500v has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27.2 x W26.1 x H26 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 174 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The WH7500v and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Westinghouse WH7500v also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, oil and tool kit.
The Westinghouse WH7500v is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WH7500v versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WH7500v compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Westinghouse WH7500v has only 174 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 5500 to 6500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Lifan LF7250, standing at just 140 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 72 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 18 hours at 25% load, the WH7500v has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, as it provides up to 20 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Standing at an estimated 0.37 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Honda EU7000iS, with a fuel consumption of 0.32 GPH could be in your good books.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (174 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6000 W|
|Starting watts||7500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 26.1 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WH7500v is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4797 W||6272 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||4780 W||5200 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.