Zoom on the Westinghouse WH7500v
In summary, the Westinghouse WH7500v is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WH7500v's core is the 420 cc (13 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 6000W and a peak wattage of 7500W.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the WH7500v may run for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH).
The quite high THD (<23%) of the WH7500v makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
As the WH7500v holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Westinghouse WH7500v, which are L27.2 x W26.1 x H26 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 174 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the WH7500v's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse WH7500v's package also includes these accessories: oil, tool kit and funnel.
The Westinghouse WH7500v is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WH7500v versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WH7500v compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- As for its weight, the Westinghouse WH7500v weighs only 174 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 5500-6500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Lifan LF7250, with a dry weight of just 140 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 72 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As the WH7500v features an autonomy of up to 18 hours at 25% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen5500, reaching up to 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Standing at an estimated 0.37 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.32 GPH, the Honda EU7000iS is a device you should look out for.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (174 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6000 W|
|Starting watts||7500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 26.1 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WH7500v is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4792 W||5792 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4795 W||5385 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.