Zoom on the Westinghouse WH7500v
In summary, the Westinghouse WH7500v is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WH7500v's engine, 420 cc (13 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 6000W and reaches a peak wattage of 7500W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
With a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the WH7500v may run for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the WH7500v is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Because the WH7500v is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
With its dimensions of L27.2 x W26.1 x H26 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Westinghouse WH7500v offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 174 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The WH7500v's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Westinghouse WH7500v, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, funnel and oil.
The Westinghouse WH7500v is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WH7500v versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WH7500v compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Westinghouse WH7500v weighs just 174 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 5500 to 6500 rated wattage generators. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Lifan LF7250, weighing just 140 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 72 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- The WH7500v provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching up to 18 hours at 25% load. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, boasting with up to 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.37 GPH. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Honda EU7000iS, with a fuel consumption of 0.28 GPH could be in your good books.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (174 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6000 W|
|Starting watts||7500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 26.1 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WH7500v is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4792 W||5792 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4795 W||5385 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.