Zoom on the Westinghouse WH7500v
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse WH7500v is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WH7500v houses a 420 cc (13 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 6000W along with a peak wattage of 7500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the WH7500v may run for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH).
The WH7500v is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Since the WH7500v bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The design of the Westinghouse WH7500v is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L27.2 x W26.1 x H26 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 174 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the WH7500v's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse WH7500v's package also includes these accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Westinghouse WH7500v is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WH7500v versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WH7500v compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Westinghouse WH7500v weighs just 174 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 5500 to 6500 rated wattage generators. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar G65BN, with a dry weight of just 126 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 72 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Since the WH7500v boasts with a run time of up to 18 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen5500, reaching up to 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.37 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.32 GPH, the Honda EU7000iS is a device you should look out for.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (174 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6000 W|
|Starting watts||7500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 26.1 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WH7500v is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4797 W||6272 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||4780 W||5200 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.