Zoom on the Westinghouse WH7500v
In summary, the Westinghouse WH7500v is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WH7500v's core is the 420 cc (13 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 6000W and a peak wattage of 7500W.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons allows the WH7500v to operate for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the WH7500v is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
As the WH7500v holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The Westinghouse WH7500v has the following dimensions: L27.2 x W26.1 x H26 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 174 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the WH7500v's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Westinghouse WH7500v, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, funnel and oil.
The Westinghouse WH7500v is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WH7500v versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WH7500v compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Westinghouse WH7500v weighs just 174 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 5500 to 6500 rated wattage generators. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Lifan LF7250, standing at just 140 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 72 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 18 hours at 25% load, the WH7500v has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen5500, with up to 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.37 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Honda EU7000iS, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.28 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (174 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6000 W|
|Starting watts||7500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 26.1 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WH7500v is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4797 W||6272 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||4780 W||5200 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.