Zoom on the Westinghouse WH3700iXLTc
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse WH3700iXLTc is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WH3700iXLTc is powered by a 150 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3,000W as well as a peak wattage of 3,700W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The WH3700iXLTc can operate for up to 6 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.3 gallon.
As the WH3700iXLTc produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Even if this Westinghouse generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included), thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L23.9 x W13.3 x H19.3 in), the Westinghouse WH3700iXLTc, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The WH3700iXLTc's dry weight of 70.5 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle will allow you to effortlessly shift it once it's on the ground.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient. To offer greater control and easy operation during nighttime, the panel is LED-lit.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse WH3700iXLTc's package also includes these accessories: funnel, RV adapter, oil and tool kit.
The Westinghouse WH3700iXLTc is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WH3700iXLTc versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WH3700iXLTc compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Westinghouse WH3700iXLTc has only 70.5 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter inverter generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of just 46 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar type and power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the WH3700iXLTc, reaching up to 6 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other inverters of a roughly equal output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 200914, with up to 22 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.22 GPH at a 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV3500P, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the Westinghouse WH3700iXLTc is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Illuminated control panel
- CO Sensor
- Several accessories included
- RV adapter included
- Parallel kit included
- Lightweight (70.5 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||150 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,000 W|
|Starting watts||3,700 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peak amps||30.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||6 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.9 x 13.3 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, RV adapter, and parallel cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WH3700iXLTc is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.