Zoom on the Westinghouse WH10000DF
In summary, the Westinghouse WH10000DF is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Westinghouse WH10000DF allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 8,000W and a starting wattage of 10,000W. If propane-powered, it gives 7,200 rated watts and 9,000 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the WH10000DF, along with its 6.6 gallons fuel capacity, can run for up to 16 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.41 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 8 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.59 GPH).
The quite high THD (<23%) of the WH10000DF makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Since the WH10000DF bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L27.2 x W26.1 x H26 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Westinghouse WH10000DF offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 207 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the WH10000DF includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Westinghouse WH10000DF also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, oil, propane hose, battery charger and funnel. An official running cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WH10000DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WH10000DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WH10000DF compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Westinghouse WH10000DF has only 207 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter dual fuel generators which produce 7500 to 8500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Cummins Onan P9500df with only 194 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its type and power category, as it is rated at 72 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Pulsar PGD95BiSCO, whose lowest noise levels reach just 62 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 16 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the WH10000DF falls into the low end in comparison with other dual fuel devices of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP10000HX, which is able to run for up to 22 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.41 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the DuroMax XP9000iH, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.35 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (207 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8,000 W||7,200 W|
|Starting watts||10,000 W||9,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps||60/30 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h||6 h *|
|Run time @25% load||16 h||8 h *|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 26.1 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery charger, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WH10000DF is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6387 W||7862 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||6395 W||6985 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Does this have remote start? (Asked May 24, 2022)
The unit does not have remote start.
Can this model WH10000DF be set up to start automatically if on a automatic transfer switch? (Asked October 05, 2023)
The unit will not automatically start with automatic transfer switches, and is not compatible with Westinghouse ST Switch.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.