-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 9
Gas + CO sensor
Dual fuel + CO sensor
Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen9500c
The Westinghouse WGen9500c is the newer version of the popular WGen9500. It's a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Small homeowners in search of a full power backup solution
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen9500c's design includes a gasoline-fueled 457 cc (13.5 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 9,500W and also a peak wattage of 12,500W.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the WGen9500c can also be remotely started (key fob included).
With a full tank, the WGen9500c can operate for up to 12 hours (fuel consumption around 0.83 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons.
Since the WGen9500c has a high THD (<23%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Westinghouse unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, as the WGen9500c holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
Westinghouse's ST Switch Outlet
The WGen9500c is what Westinghouse calls Smart Switch Ready. This means that it features a special outlet that allows for an automatic transfer of power in case of a power outage.
To benefit from this feature, you'll need the Westinghouse ST Switch (opens in a new tab), which is not included with the generator.
Simply put, the ST Switch is a cost-effective and versatile portable automatic transfer switch, which can be installed quickly and easily, without an electrician.
Plug the ST Switch into one of your household 120V outlets, plug your appliances to the ST Switch, and connect the WGen9500c to the ST Switch via the special outlet and a 120V cord. The generator will automatically turn on when the power goes out, and automatically turn off when the power returns.
The Westinghouse WGen9500c has the following dimensions: L27.2 x W26.1 x H26.5 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 209.1 lbs. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The WGen9500c and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Westinghouse WGen9500c also comes with several accessories, including: oil, tool kit, battery charger, key fob and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen9500c is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen9500c versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen9500c compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Westinghouse WGen9500c only weighs in at 209.1 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 9000-10000 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Westinghouse WGen9500TFc, with a dry weight of only 203.4 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, whose lowest noise levels reach just 69 dBA.
- The WGen9500c's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 12 hours at 25% load on a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the DuroMax XP11500EH, with up to 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.55 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the DuroMax XP11500EH, with a fuel consumption of 0.42 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W generators, the Westinghouse WGen9500c is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Sensor
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start
- Smart Switch Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (209.1 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||457 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||9,500 W|
|Starting watts||12,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||104.2/52.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||12 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 26.1 x 26.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen9500c is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7567 W||9067 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7595 W||8185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||7590 W||12090 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.