Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen7500
In summary, the Westinghouse WGen7500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen7500 is powered by a 420 cc (13 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7,500W as well as a peak wattage of 9,500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). The WGen7500 can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (separate purchase).
The fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons allows the WGen7500 to operate for up to 16 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.41 GPH).
Since the WGen7500 has a somewhat high THD (<23%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Since the WGen7500 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
Westinghouse's ST Switch Outlet
The WGen7500 is what Westinghouse calls Smart Switch Ready. This means that it features a special outlet that allows for an automatic transfer of power in case of a power outage.
To benefit from this feature, you'll need the Westinghouse ST Switch (opens in a new tab), which is not included with the generator.
Simply put, the ST Switch is a cost-effective and versatile portable automatic transfer switch, which can be installed quickly and easily, without an electrician.
Plug the ST Switch into one of your household 120V outlets, plug your appliances to the ST Switch, and connect the WGen7500 to the ST Switch via the special outlet and a 120V cord. The generator will automatically turn on when the power goes out, and automatically turn off when the power returns.
The Westinghouse WGen7500 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27.2 x W26.1 x H26 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 196 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The WGen7500's control center features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Westinghouse WGen7500 also comes with some accessories: battery charger, tool kit, funnel and oil are included. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen7500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen7500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen7500 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- At a weight of 196 pounds, the Westinghouse WGen7500 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 7000-8000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, standing at just 133 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 72 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Champion 100719, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 61 dBA.
- Given that the WGen7500 reaches an autonomy of up to 16 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP9000iH, which is able to run for up to 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.41 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the DuroMax XP9000iH, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.35 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Westinghouse WGen7500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start capable
- Smart Switch Ready
- Decent weight (196 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7,500 W|
|Starting watts||9,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||16 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 26.1 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery charger, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen7500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5967 W||7442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4880 W||9380 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.