Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen7500
In summary, the Westinghouse WGen7500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen7500's design includes a gasoline-fueled 420 cc (13 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 7500W and also a peak wattage of 9500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). To add further convenience, the WGen7500 can be remotely started (separate purchase).
With a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the WGen7500 may run for up to 16 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.41 GPH).
The quite high THD (<23%) of the WGen7500 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the WGen7500 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
Westinghouse's ST Switch Outlet
The WGen7500 is what Westinghouse calls Smart Switch Ready. This means that it features a special outlet that allows for an automatic transfer of power in case of a power outage.
To benefit from this feature, you'll need the Westinghouse ST Switch (opens in a new tab), which is not included with the generator.
Simply put, the ST Switch is a cost-effective and versatile portable automatic transfer switch, which can be installed quickly and easily, without an electrician.
Plug the ST Switch into one of your household 120V outlets, plug your appliances to the ST Switch, and connect the WGen7500 to the ST Switch via the special outlet and a 120V cord. The generator will automatically turn on when the power goes out, and automatically turn off when the power returns.
The design of the Westinghouse WGen7500 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L27.2 x W26.1 x H26 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 196 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The WGen7500's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Westinghouse WGen7500 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, funnel, battery charger and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen7500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen7500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen7500 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- With a dry weight of 192 pounds, the Westinghouse WGen7500 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 7000 and 8000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 73 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA8000iSF. With just 65 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- With a run time of up to 16 hours at 25% load, the WGen7500 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 9500, reaching up to 18.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.41 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.37 GPH, the Predator 9500 is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Westinghouse WGen7500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start capable
- Smart Switch Ready
- Quiet for its power (72 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (196 lbs)
The Westinghouse WGen7500 doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||9500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||16 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 26.1 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery charger, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen7500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5967 W||7442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4880 W||9380 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.