Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen7500
In summary, the Westinghouse WGen7500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners and people participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen7500 is powered by a 420 cc (13 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7500W as well as a peak wattage of 9500W.
At a noise rating of 73 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this generator can be started via a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included), or a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. To add further convenience, the WGen7500 can be remotely started (separate purchase).
With a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the WGen7500 may run for up to 16 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.41 GPH).
Since the WGen7500 has a somewhat high THD (<23%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
The dimensions of the Westinghouse WGen7500, which are L27.2 x W26.5 x H26 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 192 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle, with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the WGen7500 includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the Westinghouse WGen7500 also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, funnel, battery charger and oil.
The Westinghouse WGen7500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen7500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen7500 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Westinghouse WGen7500 has only 192 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 7000 to 8000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Predator 8750, with a dry weight of just 183 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 73 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the WEN GN9500. With just 64 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Since the WGen7500 boasts with a run time of up to 16 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.41 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Westinghouse WGen7500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Remote start capable
- Lightweight for its kind (192 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (73 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Electric, Recoil, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||9500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||16 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 26.5 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||73 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Battery charger, oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen7500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.