Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen7500
In summary, the Westinghouse WGen7500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen7500 is powered by a 420 cc (13 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7500W as well as a peak wattage of 9500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 73 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the WGen7500 can also be remotely started (separate purchase).
With a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the WGen7500 may run for up to 16 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.41 GPH).
The WGen7500 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
As the WGen7500 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
Westinghouse's ST Switch Outlet
The WGen7500 is what Westinghouse calls Smart Switch Ready. This means that it features a special outlet that allows for an automatic transfer of power in case of a power outage.
To benefit from this feature, you'll need the Westinghouse ST Switch (opens in a new tab), which is not included with the generator.
Simply put, the ST Switch is a cost-effective and versatile portable automatic transfer switch, which can be installed quickly and easily, without an electrician.
Plug the ST Switch into one of your household 120V outlets, plug your appliances to the ST Switch, and connect the WGen7500 to the ST Switch via the special outlet and a 120V cord. The generator will automatically turn on when the power goes out, and automatically turn off when the power returns.
The dimensions of the Westinghouse WGen7500, which are L27.2 x W26.5 x H26 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 192 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The WGen7500's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse WGen7500's package also includes these accessories: battery charger, funnel, oil and tool kit.
The Westinghouse WGen7500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen7500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen7500 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Westinghouse WGen7500 only weighs in at 192 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 7000-8000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, standing at just 133 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 73 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 65 dBA.
- Since the WGen7500 boasts with a run time of up to 16 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as one of the devices with the highest run time among those of a comparable output.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Standing at an estimated 0.41 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Champion 100520. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.4 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Westinghouse WGen7500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start capable
- Smart Switch Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (192 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (73 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
The Westinghouse WGen7500 doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||9500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||16 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 26.5 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||73 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery charger and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen7500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5967 W||7442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4880 W||9380 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.