Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5500
In summary, the Westinghouse WGen5500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen5500's core is the 420 cc (13 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5500W and a peak wattage of 6850W.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The WGen5500 can operate for up to 20 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons.
As the WGen5500 has a relatively high THD (<23%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
The dimensions of the Westinghouse WGen5500, which are L27.2 x W26.5 x H26 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 174 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle, with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the WGen5500's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and a user manual to get you promptly started, the Westinghouse WGen5500 also comes with some accessories: oil, tool kit and funnel are included.
The Westinghouse WGen5500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- As its weight is 174 pounds, the Westinghouse WGen5500 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 5000-6000 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Champion 100519 with only 121 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 72 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- With a run time of 20 hours at 25% load, the WGen5500 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Honda EU7000iS, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.28 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent weight (174 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Where to buy the Westinghouse WGen5500?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6850 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||57.1/28.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||20 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 26.5 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.