Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300v
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse WGen5300v is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen5300v is powered by a 274 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5300W as well as a peak wattage of 6600W.
With a noise rating of 73 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons allows the WGen5300v to operate for up to 20 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.24 GPH).
As the WGen5300v has a relatively high THD (<23%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready. In addition, because the WGen5300v is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Westinghouse WGen5300v has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27 x W21.7 x H19.7 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 107 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the WGen5300v's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Westinghouse WGen5300v also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, oil and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen5300v is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300v versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300v compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Westinghouse WGen5300v stands at only 107 lbs, meaning that is one of the one of the lightest devices of the 4500-5500 rated wattage category
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 73 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- As the WGen5300v features an autonomy of up to 20 hours at 25% load, it has one of the highest run times in comparison to the other generators of its power range.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.24 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this generator is among the most fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300v is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (107 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (73 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5300 W|
|Starting watts||6600 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||55/27.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||20 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 21.7 x 19.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||73 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300v is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4217 W||5692 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4235 W||4655 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3880 W||6580 W|
How often do u need to change oil (Asked November 15, 2020)
Oil should be changed after the first 25 hours or first month of use. After that, every 50 hours or 6 months.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.