Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300v
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse WGen5300v is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen5300v houses a 274 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 5300W along with a peak wattage of 6600W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office).
The WGen5300v can operate for up to 14.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons.
The quite high THD (<23%) of the WGen5300v makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Westinghouse generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the WGen5300v is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Westinghouse WGen5300v has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.2 x W20.1 x H19.1 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 132.5 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the WGen5300v's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse WGen5300v's package also includes these accessories: funnel, oil and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen5300v is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300v versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300v compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Westinghouse WGen5300v weighs just 132.5 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 4500 to 5500 rated wattage generators. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN6000, weighing just 119 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 68 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- The WGen5300v's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 14.5 hours at 25% load on a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen5500, with up to 20 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.32 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Champion 100519, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.31 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300v is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (132.5 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5300 W|
|Starting watts||6600 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||55/27.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||14.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 20.1 x 19.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300v is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4217 W||5692 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4235 W||4655 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3880 W||6580 W|
How often do u need to change oil (Asked November 15, 2020)
Oil should be changed after the first 25 hours or first month of use. After that, every 50 hours or 6 months.
What is the sound level? (Asked July 02, 2021)
The unit is rated with a noise level of 68 dBA.
Is the generator hard to start? I worry my wife may have trouble starting if I am not around. (Asked August 13, 2021)
The WGen5300s has a recoil start only. If you're concerned about ease of starting, you may want to have a look at the WGen5300s, which is the same unit but with an additional electric start.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.