Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300v
In summary, the Westinghouse WGen5300v is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen5300v houses a 274 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 5300W along with a peak wattage of 6600W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons, the WGen5300v can operate for up to 14.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the WGen5300v is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
This Westinghouse generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the WGen5300v is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the Westinghouse WGen5300v is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23.2 x W20.1 x H19.1 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 132.5 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The WGen5300v's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse WGen5300v's package also includes these accessories: funnel, oil and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen5300v is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300v versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300v compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Westinghouse WGen5300v stands at only 132.5 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 4500-5500 rated wattage category If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM6000XiE, weighing just 106.9 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 68 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the WGen5300v, reaching up to 14.5 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, boasting with up to 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.32 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Genmax GM5500i, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.27 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300v is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (132.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5300 W|
|Starting watts||6600 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||55/27.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||14.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 20.1 x 19.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300v is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Total||4230 W||5730 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||4235 W||4825 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3880 W||6580 W|
How often do u need to change oil (Asked November 15, 2020)
Oil should be changed after the first 25 hours or first month of use. After that, every 50 hours or 6 months.
What is the sound level? (Asked July 02, 2021)
The unit is rated with a noise level of 68 dBA.
Is the generator hard to start? I worry my wife may have trouble starting if I am not around. (Asked August 13, 2021)
The WGen5300s has a recoil start only. If you're concerned about ease of starting, you may want to have a look at the WGen5300s, which is the same unit but with an additional electric start.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.