Electric start + CO sensor
Remote start + CO sensor
Manual start + CO sensor
Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300sc
The Westinghouse WGen5300sc is the newer version of the WGen5300s. It's a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen5300sc is powered by a 274 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5,300W as well as a peak wattage of 6,600W.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the WGen5300sc can operate for up to 14.5 hours (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons.
The WGen5300sc is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
This Westinghouse generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, as the WGen5300sc holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L23.2 x W20.1 x H19.1 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Westinghouse WGen5300sc offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 133.8 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The WGen5300sc and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse WGen5300sc's package also includes these accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen5300sc is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300sc versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300sc compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Westinghouse WGen5300sc has only 133.8 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 4500 to 5500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE, standing at just 106.9 lbs.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 68 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 14.5 hours at 25% load, the WGen5300sc benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EU7000iS, reaching up to 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.32 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.27 GPH, the Genmax GM5500i is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300sc is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (133.8 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5,300 W|
|Starting watts||6,600 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||55/27.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||14.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 20.1 x 19.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300sc is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4217 W||5692 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4235 W||4655 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3880 W||6580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.