Electric start + CO sensor
Remote start + CO sensor
Manual start + CO sensor
Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300sc
The Westinghouse WGen5300sc is the newer version of the WGen5300s. It's a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen5300sc's design includes a gasoline-fueled 274 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5,300W and also a peak wattage of 6,600W.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons, the WGen5300sc may run for up to 14.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH).
Since the WGen5300sc has a high THD (<23%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready. In addition, as the WGen5300sc holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Westinghouse WGen5300sc, which are L23.2 x W20.1 x H19.1 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 133.8 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The WGen5300sc's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Westinghouse WGen5300sc also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, oil and funnel. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Westinghouse WGen5300sc is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300sc versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300sc compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Westinghouse WGen5300sc weighs just 133.8 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 4500 to 5500 rated wattage generators. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN5600, with a dry weight of only 103.6 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 68 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- The WGen5300sc's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 14.5 hours at 25% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the DuroMax XP5500EH, reaching up to 19 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.32 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the DuroMax XP5500EH, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.21 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300sc is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (133.8 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|274 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|23.2 x 20.1 x 19.1 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300sc is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.