Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300sc
The Westinghouse WGen5300sc is the newer version of the WGen5300s. It's a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen5300sc's core is the 274 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5300W and a peak wattage of 6600W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons, the WGen5300sc can operate for up to 14.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH).
Since the WGen5300sc has a somewhat high THD (<23%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Westinghouse generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, since the WGen5300sc bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The dimensions of the Westinghouse WGen5300sc, which are L23.2 x W20.1 x H19.1 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 133.8 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The control panel of the WGen5300sc includes a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Westinghouse WGen5300sc also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, funnel and oil. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen5300sc is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300sc versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300sc compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As for its weight, the Westinghouse WGen5300sc weighs only 133.8 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE, standing at just 106.9 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 68 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 14.5 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the WGen5300sc falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, as it provides up to 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Standing at an estimated 0.32 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Genmax GM5500i, with a fuel consumption of 0.27 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300sc is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (133.8 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5300 W|
|Starting watts||6600 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||55/27.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||14.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 20.1 x 19.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300sc is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Total||4230 W||5730 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||4235 W||4825 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3880 W||6580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.