Electric start + CO sensor
Remote start + CO sensor
Manual start + CO sensor
Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300s
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse WGen5300s is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen5300s houses a 274 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 5,300W along with a peak wattage of 6,600W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons allows the WGen5300s to operate for up to 14.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH).
The WGen5300s is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready. In addition, as the WGen5300s holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L23.1 x W20.1 x H19.1 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Westinghouse WGen5300s offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 131.4 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the WGen5300s's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Westinghouse WGen5300s also comes with some accessories: tool kit, funnel and oil are included. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen5300s is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300s versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300s compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Westinghouse WGen5300s weighs just 131.4 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 4500 to 5500 rated wattage generators. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE, with a dry weight of only 106.9 lbs.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 68 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 14.5 hours at 25% load, the WGen5300s has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EU7000iS, with up to 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Standing at an estimated 0.32 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Genmax GM5500i, with a fuel consumption of 0.27 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300s is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (131.4 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5,300 W|
|Starting watts||6,600 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||55/27.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||14.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.1 x 20.1 x 19.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||5302|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300s is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4217 W||5692 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4235 W||4655 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3880 W||6580 W|
If you use surge protectors at each electronic device would this generator be safe for sensitive electronic equipment? (Asked June 05, 2020)
Absolutely not, as this is not what surge protectors are for. A surge protector will only prevent voltage spikes (in case of lightning, etc.). By no means will it clean the waveform. Feel free to read our article on THD to have a better understanding.
Can this run a freezer and refrigerator (Asked September 02, 2021)
It should have no problem handling both appliances.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.