Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300s
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse WGen5300s is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen5300s's engine, 274 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5300W and reaches a peak wattage of 6600W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music).
With a fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons, the WGen5300s may run for up to 14.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH).
The quite high THD (<23%) of the WGen5300s makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready. In addition, because the WGen5300s is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The dimensions of the Westinghouse WGen5300s, which are L23.1 x W20.1 x H19.1 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 131.4 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The WGen5300s and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse WGen5300s's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, oil and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen5300s is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300s versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300s compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Westinghouse WGen5300s weighs just 131.4 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 4500 to 5500 rated wattage generators. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE, with a dry weight of only 106.9 lbs.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 68 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the WGen5300s, reaching up to 14.5 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, which is able to run for up to 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.32 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Genmax GM5500i, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.27 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300s is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (131.4 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5300 W|
|Starting watts||6600 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||55/27.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||14.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.1 x 20.1 x 19.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||5302|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300s is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Total||4230 W||5730 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||4235 W||4825 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3880 W||6580 W|
If you use surge protectors at each electronic device would this generator be safe for sensitive electronic equipment? (Asked June 05, 2020)
Absolutely not, as this is not what surge protectors are for. A surge protector will only prevent voltage spikes (in case of lightning, etc.). By no means will it clean the waveform. Feel free to read our article on THD to have a better understanding.
Can this run a freezer and refrigerator (Asked September 02, 2021)
It should have no problem handling both appliances.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.