Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv
In summary, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 5300W and a peak wattage of 6500W. When propane-powered, it has 4800 rated watts and 5800 peak watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The running time of the WGen5300DFv, with its 4.7 gallons fuel capacity, can reach up to 18 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 15 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.31 GPH).
As the WGen5300DFv has a relatively high THD (<23%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready. In addition, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the WGen5300DFv is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFv has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27 x W21.7 x H19.7 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 134.5 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The WGen5300DFv's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv also comes with several accessories, including: oil, propane hose, funnel and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFv is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFv versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv has only 134.5 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 4500 to 5500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN6000, weighing just 119 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 68 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- As the WGen5300DFv features an autonomy of up to 18 hours at 25% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen5500, with up to 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator can be considered as one of the most fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (134.5 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5300 W||4800 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W||5800 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps||40/20 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps||48.3/24.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h||9 h *|
|Run time @25% load||18 h||15 h *|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 21.7 x 19.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFv is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4217 W||5692 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4235 W||4655 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
Do you need to get a propane regulator or is it built in. (Asked August 11, 2020)
The regulator is included.
when will this model with electric starter become available. (Asked August 11, 2020)
You may look at the WGen5300DF, which has an electric starter, but is not just an alternate version of this unit. It lacks a data center, but has slightly higher starting watts, and an ST Switch outlet.
Is there a natural gas conversion kit available for this model? (Asked August 28, 2020)
There is no official conversion kit.
How are the circuit breakers reset on the WGen5300DFv (Asked August 29, 2021)
The unit is fitted with push-type circuit breakers. To reset them, simply push them in.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.