Remote start + CO sensor
Manual start + Data center
Manual start + CO sensor
Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv
In summary, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 5,300W and a peak wattage of 6,500W. When propane-powered, it has 4,800 rated watts and 5,800 peak watts.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The running time of the WGen5300DFv, with its 4.7 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 11 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.43 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH).
The quite high THD (<23%) of the WGen5300DFv makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready. In addition, because the WGen5300DFv is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The dimensions of the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv, which are L23.2 x W20.1 x H19.1 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 134.5 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The control panel of the WGen5300DFv includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv also comes with some accessories: funnel, propane hose, oil and tool kit are included. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFv is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFv versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 134.5 lbs, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv belongs in the expected weight range for dual fuel devices which can produce between 4500 and 5500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM6000iED, with a dry weight of just 117.9 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 68 dBA, this generator is one of the quieter devices of similar type and power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Genmax GM6000iED, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 63 dBA.
- Since the WGen5300DFv boasts with a run time of around 11 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most dual fuel generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar G65BN, boasting with around 11.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.43 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the most fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 4500-5500W dual fuel generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Quiet for its power (68 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (134.5 lbs)
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)
|274 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|23.2 x 20.1 x 19.1 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Bonded to frame
|Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFv is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|Electric fence (25 miles)
Do you need to get a propane regulator or is it built in. (Asked August 11, 2020)
The regulator is included.
when will this model with electric starter become available. (Asked August 11, 2020)
You may look at the WGen5300DF, which has an electric starter, but is not just an alternate version of this unit. It lacks a data center, but has slightly higher starting watts, and an ST Switch outlet.
Is there a natural gas conversion kit available for this model? (Asked August 28, 2020)
There is no official conversion kit.
How are the circuit breakers reset on the WGen5300DFv (Asked August 29, 2021)
The unit is fitted with push-type circuit breakers. To reset them, simply push them in.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.