Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 5300W and a peak wattage of 6500W. When propane-powered, it has 4800 rated watts and 5800 peak watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
As for its running time, the WGen5300DFv, along with its 4.7 gallons fuel capacity, can run for up to 20 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.24 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 15 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.31 GPH).
Since the WGen5300DFv has a somewhat high THD (<23%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready. In addition, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the WGen5300DFv is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFv has the following dimensions: L27 x W21.7 x H19.7 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 134.5 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the WGen5300DFv's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv's package also includes these accessories: oil, propane hose, tool kit and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFv is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFv versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As for its weight, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv weighs only 134.5 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN 56500, weighing just 119 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 68 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 20 hours at 25% load, the WGen5300DFv benefits from one of the highest run times among generators of a similar output
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.24 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the most fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (134.5 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5300 W||4800 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W||5800 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps||40/20 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps||48.3/24.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h||10 h *|
|Run time @25% load||20 h||15 h *|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 21.7 x 19.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFv is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4217 W||5692 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4235 W||4655 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
Do you need to get a propane regulator or is it built in. (Asked August 11, 2020)
The regulator is included.
when will this model with electric starter become available. (Asked August 11, 2020)
We are currently not aware of any alternate version with an electric start.
Answer edited October 12, 2020: You may look at the WGen5300DF, which has an electric starter, but is not just an alternate version of this unit. It lacks a data center, but has slightly higher starting watts, and an ST Switch outlet.
Is there a natural gas conversion kit available for this model? (Asked August 28, 2020)
There is no official conversion kit.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.