Remote start + CO sensor
Manual start + Data center
Manual start + CO sensor
Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv is the newer version of the WGen5300DFv. It's a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 5,300W along with a peak wattage of 6,500W. While propane-powered, it provides 4,800 rated watts and 5,800 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Regarding its running time, the WGen5300DFcv, with a 4.7 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.43 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the WGen5300DFcv is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready. In addition, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the WGen5300DFcv is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv has the following dimensions: L23.1 x W20.1 x H19.1 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 135.6 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv, the following accessories are also included: funnel, propane hose, oil and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- With a dry weight of 135.6 pounds, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv finds itself in the expected weight range for dual fuel generators able to produce between 4500 and 5500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM6000iED, standing at just 117.9 lbs.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 68 dBA, this generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar type and power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Genmax GM6000iED, whose lowest noise levels reach just 63 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 11 hours at 50% load, the WGen5300DFcv benefits from a higher run time than many dual fuel generators of a similar output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar G65BN, which is able to run for around 11.5 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator can be considered as one of the most fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.43 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W dual fuel generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Sensor
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (68 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (135.6 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5,300 W||4,800 W|
|Starting watts||6,500 W||5,800 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps||40/20 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps||48.3/24.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.1 x 20.1 x 19.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4217 W||5692 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4235 W||4655 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.