Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv is the newer version of the WGen5300DFv. It's a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 5300W and a starting wattage of 6500W. If propane-powered, it gives 4800 rated watts and 5800 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
As for its running time, the WGen5300DFcv, along with its 4.7 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.43 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH).
The quite high THD (<23%) of the WGen5300DFcv makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready. In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the WGen5300DFcv is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv has the following dimensions: L23.1 x W20.1 x H19.1 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 135.6 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, tool kit, funnel and propane hose. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv weighs just 135.6 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 4500 to 5500 rated wattage generators. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE, with a dry weight of just 106.9 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 68 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- As the WGen5300DFcv offers around 11 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.43 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Genmax GM5500i, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.41 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (135.6 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5300 W||4800 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W||5800 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps||40/20 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps||48.3/24.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.1 x 20.1 x 19.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFcv is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Total||4230 W||5730 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||4235 W||4825 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.