Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300DFc
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFc is the newer version of the WGen5300DF. It's a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Westinghouse WGen5300DFc provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 5300W along with a peak wattage of 6600W. While propane-powered, it provides 4800 rated watts and 5900 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the WGen5300DFc may also be remotely started (key fob included).
The running time of the WGen5300DFc, with its 4.7 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 11 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.43 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH).
Since the WGen5300DFc has a somewhat high THD (<23%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready. In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the WGen5300DFc is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
Westinghouse's ST Switch Outlet
The WGen5300DFc is what Westinghouse calls Smart Switch Ready. This means that it features a special outlet that allows for an automatic transfer of power in case of a power outage.
To benefit from this feature, you'll need the Westinghouse ST Switch (opens in a new tab), which is not included with the generator.
Simply put, the ST Switch is a cost-effective and versatile portable automatic transfer switch, which can be installed quickly and easily, without an electrician.
Plug the ST Switch into one of your household 120V outlets, plug your appliances to the ST Switch, and connect the WGen5300DFc to the ST Switch via the special outlet and a 120V cord. The generator will automatically turn on when the power goes out, and automatically turn off when the power returns.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFc has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.4 x W20.6 x H19.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 135.6 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable).
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Westinghouse WGen5300DFc, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, oil, tool kit, funnel, battery charger and key fob.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFc is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFc versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300DFc compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As for its weight, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFc weighs only 135.6 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE, with a dry weight of only 106.9 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 68 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the WGen5300DFc offers around 11 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.43 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Genmax GM5500i, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.41 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFc is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Sensor
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Dual Fuel
- Smart Switch Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (135.6 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5300 W||4800 W|
|Starting watts||6600 W||5900 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps||40/20 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||55/27.5 amps||49.2/24.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.4 x 20.6 x 19.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger, propane hose, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DFc is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Total||4230 W||5730 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||4235 W||4825 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3880 W||6580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.