Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300DF
In summary, the Westinghouse WGen5300DF is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Westinghouse WGen5300DF allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 5300W and a starting wattage of 6600W. If propane-powered, it gives 4800 rated watts and 5900 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). The WGen5300DF can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
The WGen5300DF, with a fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons, reaches a run time of around 13.5 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.35 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH) with propane.
The WGen5300DF is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
This Westinghouse generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the WGen5300DF is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
Westinghouse's ST Switch Outlet
The WGen5300DF is what Westinghouse calls Smart Switch Ready. This means that it features a special outlet that allows for an automatic transfer of power in case of a power outage.
To benefit from this feature, you'll need the Westinghouse ST Switch (opens in a new tab), which is not included with the generator.
Simply put, the ST Switch is a cost-effective and versatile portable automatic transfer switch, which can be installed quickly and easily, without an electrician.
Plug the ST Switch into one of your household 120V outlets, plug your appliances to the ST Switch, and connect the WGen5300DF to the ST Switch via the special outlet and a 120V cord. The generator will automatically turn on when the power goes out, and automatically turn off when the power returns.
The dimensions of the Westinghouse WGen5300DF, which are L27 x W21.7 x H19.7 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 147 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse WGen5300DF's package also includes these accessories: funnel, oil, tool kit, battery charger and key fob.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DF is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300DF compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Westinghouse WGen5300DF stands at only 147 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 4500-5500 rated wattage category If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Westinghouse WGen5300v, weighing just 107 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 68 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- With a run time of around 13.5 hours at 50% load, the WGen5300DF has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Cat RP5500, with around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.35 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the most fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300DF is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Dual Fuel
- Smart Switch Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (147 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- No data center
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5300 W||4800 W|
|Starting watts||6600 W||5900 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps||40/20 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||55/27.5 amps||49.2/24.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 21.7 x 19.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300DF is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Total||4230 W||5730 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||4235 W||4825 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3880 W||6580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.