Electric start + CO sensor
Remote start + CO sensor
Manual start + CO sensor
Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300cv
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv is the newer version of the WGen5300v. It's a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv houses a 274 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 5,300W along with a peak wattage of 6,600W.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons allows the WGen5300cv to operate for up to 14.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH).
The quite high THD (<23%) of the WGen5300cv makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready. In addition, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the WGen5300cv is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the Westinghouse WGen5300cv is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23.2 x W20.1 x H19.1 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 133.6 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The control panel of the WGen5300cv includes a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Westinghouse WGen5300cv also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, oil and funnel. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300cv compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Westinghouse WGen5300cv stands at only 133.6 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 4500-5500 rated wattage category If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN5600, weighing just 103.6 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 68 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the WGen5300cv, with an autonomy of up to 14.5 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP5500EH, which is able to run for up to 19 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.32 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the DuroMax XP5500EH, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.21 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300cv is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (133.6 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5,300 W|
|Starting watts||6,600 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||55/27.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||14.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 20.1 x 19.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Total||4230 W||5330 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||4235 W||4825 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3880 W||6580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.