Electric start + CO sensor
Remote start + CO sensor
Manual start + CO sensor
Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300cv
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv is the newer version of the WGen5300v. It's a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv's design includes a gasoline-fueled 274 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5,300W and also a peak wattage of 6,600W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music).
With a fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons, the WGen5300cv may run for up to 14.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH).
Since the WGen5300cv has a high THD (<23%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
This Westinghouse generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the WGen5300cv is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv has the following dimensions: L23.2 x W20.1 x H19.1 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 133.6 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the WGen5300cv's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Westinghouse WGen5300cv also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, tool kit and funnel. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300cv compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Westinghouse WGen5300cv stands at only 133.6 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 4500-5500 rated wattage category If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN5600, weighing just 103.6 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 68 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the WGen5300cv, with an autonomy of up to 14.5 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP5500EH, which is able to run for up to 19 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.32 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the DuroMax XP5500EH, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.21 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300cv is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (133.6 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|274 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|23.2 x 20.1 x 19.1 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.