Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen5300cv
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv is the newer version of the WGen5300v. It's a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv's design includes a gasoline-fueled 274 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5300W and also a peak wattage of 6600W.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The WGen5300cv can operate for up to 14.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.32 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons.
The WGen5300cv is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Westinghouse generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the WGen5300cv is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv has the following dimensions: L23.2 x W20.1 x H19.1 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 133.6 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The WGen5300cv's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse WGen5300cv's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, oil and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen5300cv compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Westinghouse WGen5300cv weighs just 133.6 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 4500 to 5500 rated wattage generators. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE with only 106.9 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 68 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 14.5 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the WGen5300cv is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, boasting with up to 20 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.32 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Genmax GM5500i. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.27 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen5300cv is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Sensor
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (133.6 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5300 W|
|Starting watts||6600 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||55/27.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||14.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 20.1 x 19.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen5300cv is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Total||4230 W||5730 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||4235 W||4825 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3880 W||6580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.