Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen3600DF
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Westinghouse WGen3600DF allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3600W and a starting wattage of 4650W. If propane-powered, it gives 3240 rated watts and 4180 starting watts.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office). The WGen3600DF can also be remotely started, offering further convenience. (key fob included).
Regarding its running time, the WGen3600DF, with a 4 gallons fuel capacity can operate for up to 18 hours with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH). When using propane, it can run for up to 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
The WGen3600DF is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Westinghouse generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
With its dimensions of L24 x W23 x H21.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Westinghouse WGen3600DF offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 109 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle, with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and a user manual to get you promptly started, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF also comes with some accessories: tool kit, battery charger, funnel, oil, key fob and propane hose are included.
The Westinghouse WGen3600DF is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen3600DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen3600DF compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As its weight is 109 pounds, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA is on the noisier side. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 18 hours at 25% load, the WGen3600DF benefits from one of the highest run time of generators of a similar output.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.22 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.14 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Decent weight (109 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3600 W||3240 W|
|Starting watts||4650 W||4180 W|
|Running amps||30 amps||27 amps|
|Peaks amps||38.8 amps||34.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||18 h||20 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 23 x 21.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen3600DF is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.