Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen3600DF
In summary, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3600W and a peak wattage of 4650W. When propane-powered, it has 3240 rated watts and 4180 peak watts.
With a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). To add further convenience, the WGen3600DF can be remotely started (key fob included).
The running time of the WGen3600DF, with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can reach up to 18 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
Since the WGen3600DF has a somewhat high THD (<23%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Westinghouse generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Westinghouse WGen3600DF has the following dimensions: L24 x W23 x H21.5 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 109 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF also comes with several accessories, including: funnel, oil, key fob, propane hose, battery charger and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse WGen3600DF is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen3600DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen3600DF compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As its weight is 109 pounds, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 69 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- The WGen3600DF, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 18 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Champion 200954, boasting with up to 22 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.22 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.14 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (109 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3600 W||3240 W|
|Starting watts||4650 W||4180 W|
|Running amps||30 amps||27 amps|
|Peaks amps||38.8 amps||34.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||18 h||20 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 23 x 21.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen3600DF is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2857 W||3857 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2860 W||3450 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||1880 W||4580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.