Remote start + CO sensor
Manual start + Data center
Manual start + Data center + CO sensor
Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen3600DF
In summary, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Westinghouse WGen3600DF allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3,600W and a starting wattage of 4,650W. If propane-powered, it gives 3,240 rated watts and 4,180 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the WGen3600DF may also be remotely started (key fob included).
As for its running time, the WGen3600DF, along with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can run for up to 14 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.29 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 16.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.28 GPH).
Since the WGen3600DF has a high THD (<23%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready.
With its dimensions of L23.3 x W22.8 x H21.3 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Westinghouse WGen3600DF offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 120 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF also is packed along with the following accessories: propane hose, funnel, key fob, oil, tool kit and battery charger. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Westinghouse WGen3600DF is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen3600DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen3600DF compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- A weight of 120 lbs makes the Westinghouse WGen3600DF one of the heavier dual fuel devices in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN DF402iX, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 68 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 14 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the WGen3600DF is on the low end when compared to other dual fuel generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman WH03662OF, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.29 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.16 GPH, the Champion 200988 is a device you could look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel generators, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- No data center
- On the heavy side (120 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,600 W||3,240 W|
|Starting watts||4,650 W||4,180 W|
|Running amps||30 amps||27 amps|
|Peak amps||38.8 amps||34.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.5 h||14 h|
|Run time @25% load||14 h||16.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.3 x 22.8 x 21.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen3600DF is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2857 W||3857 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2860 W||3450 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||1880 W||4580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.