Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen3600DF
In summary, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3600W and a peak wattage of 4650W. When propane-powered, it has 3240 rated watts and 4180 peak watts.
With a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the WGen3600DF may also be remotely started (key fob included).
Regarding its running time, the WGen3600DF, with a 4 gallons fuel capacity can operate for up to 18 hours with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH). When using propane, it can run for up to 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the WGen3600DF is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Westinghouse generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The design of the Westinghouse WGen3600DF is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L24 x W23 x H21.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 109 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Never less, thanks to a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual to get you promptly started, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF also comes with some accessories: tool kit, key fob, battery charger, propane hose, oil and funnel are included.
The Westinghouse WGen3600DF is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen3600DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen3600DF compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With a dry weight of 109 pounds, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500 with only 52 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 18 hours at 25% load, the WGen3600DF has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.22 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.14 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Decent weight (109 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3600 W||3240 W|
|Starting watts||4650 W||4180 W|
|Running amps||30 amps||27 amps|
|Peaks amps||38.8 amps||34.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||18 h||20 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 23 x 21.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen3600DF is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.