Zoom on the Westinghouse WGen2000
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse WGen2000 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse WGen2000's core is the 212 cc (4.6 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2000W and a peak wattage of 2500W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music).
The WGen2000 can operate for up to 26 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
As the WGen2000 has a relatively high THD (<23%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
The design of the Westinghouse WGen2000 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23.5 x W17.5 x H18.7 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 91 lbs, the WGen2000 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse WGen2000's package also includes these accessories: oil, tool kit and funnel.
The Westinghouse WGen2000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse WGen2000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse WGen2000 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 91 pounds, the Westinghouse WGen2000 is one of the heavier generators producing between 1500 and 2500 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 68 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 26 hours at 25% load, the WGen2000 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.15 GPH at a 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Predator 2000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Westinghouse WGen2000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (91 lbs)
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2000 W|
|Starting watts||2500 W|
|Running amps||16.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||20 h|
|Run time @25% load||26 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23.5 x 17.5 x 18.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse WGen2000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.