Zoom on the Westinghouse iPro4200
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse iPro4200 is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iPro4200's design includes a gasoline-fueled 212 cc (5.8 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3500W and also a peak wattage of 4200W.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music).
The fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons allows the iPro4200 to operate for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.14 GPH).
As the iPro4200 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The full GFCI control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
The design of the Westinghouse iPro4200 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L24 x W19.5 x H19 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 82 lbs, the iPro4200 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
The iPro4200 and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse iPro4200's package also includes these accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iPro4200 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Westinghouse iPro4200 stands at only 82 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 3000-4000 rated wattage category If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 62 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cat INV4000E with only 51 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 18 hours at 25% load, the iPro4200 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Champion 200954, reaching up to 22 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.14 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV3500P, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Westinghouse iPro4200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Full GFCI panel
- Lightweight for its kind (82 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (62 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4200 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||35 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|GFCI outlets||Full panel|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||3x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 19.5 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.