Zoom on the Westinghouse iPro4200
In summary, the Westinghouse iPro4200 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iPro4200's design includes a gasoline-fueled 212 cc (5.8 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3500W and also a peak wattage of 4200W.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music).
The iPro4200 can operate for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.14 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons.
The iPro4200 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The full GFCI control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L24 x W19.5 x H19 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
The 82 lbs of the iPro4200's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
The iPro4200 and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Westinghouse iPro4200 also comes with several accessories, including: oil, tool kit and funnel.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iPro4200 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Westinghouse iPro4200 has only 82 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 62 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cat INV4000E with only 51 dBA.
- Since the iPro4200 boasts with a run time of up to 18 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, as it provides up to 22 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.14 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3500P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Westinghouse iPro4200 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Full GFCI panel
- Lightweight for its kind (82 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (62 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4200 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||35 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|GFCI outlets||Full panel|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||3x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 19.5 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2787 W||3787 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.