Zoom on the Westinghouse iPro4200
In summary, the Westinghouse iPro4200 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iPro4200's engine, 212 cc (5.8 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4200W.
With a noise rating of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons, the iPro4200 may run for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.14 GPH).
The iPro4200 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The full GFCI control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 has the following dimensions: L24 x W19.5 x H19 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 82 lbs, the iPro4200 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
The control panel of the iPro4200 includes a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is overloaded.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Westinghouse iPro4200 also comes with some accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit are included.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iPro4200 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Westinghouse iPro4200 stands at only 82 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 3000-4000 rated wattage category If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 62 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cat INV4000E, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 51 dBA.
- Since the iPro4200 boasts with a run time of up to 18 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 100892, with up to 22 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.14 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV3500P. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.13 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Westinghouse iPro4200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Full GFCI panel
- Lightweight for its kind (82 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (62 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4200 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||35 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|GFCI outlets||Full panel|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||3x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 19.5 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.