Zoom on the Westinghouse iPro4200
In summary, the Westinghouse iPro4200 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iPro4200's engine, 212 cc (5.8 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4200W.
With a noise rating of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons, the iPro4200 may run for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.14 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the iPro4200 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The full GFCI control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L24 x W19.5 x H19 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The iPro4200's dry weight of 82 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The iPro4200's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and a user manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Westinghouse iPro4200 also comes with several accessories, including: funnel, tool kit and oil.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iPro4200 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Westinghouse iPro4200 weighs just 82 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 3000 to 4000 rated wattage generators. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 62 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500 with only 52 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 18 hours at 25% load, the iPro4200 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Energizer eZG3500, with up to 19.5 hours .
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.14 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Westinghouse iPro4200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Full GFCI panel
- Lightweight for its kind (82 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (62 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4200 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||35 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|GFCI outlets||Full panel|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||3x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 2.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 19.5 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.