Zoom on the Westinghouse iPro4200
In summary, the Westinghouse iPro4200 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iPro4200's core is the 212 cc (5.8 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3500W and a peak wattage of 4200W.
With a noise rating of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons allows the iPro4200 to operate for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.14 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the iPro4200 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The full GFCI control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
With its dimensions of L24 x W19.5 x H19 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Westinghouse iPro4200 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 82 lbs of the iPro4200's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
To help you monitor the iPro4200's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse iPro4200's package also includes these accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iPro4200 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Westinghouse iPro4200 stands at only 82 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 3000-4000 rated wattage category If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 62 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cat INV4000E, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 51 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 18 hours at 25% load, the iPro4200 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Energizer eZG3500, as it provides up to 19.5 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.14 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the most fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Westinghouse iPro4200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Full GFCI panel
- Lightweight for its kind (82 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (62 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4200 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||35 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|GFCI outlets||Full panel|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||3x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 19.5 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iPro4200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2787 W||3787 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.