Gas + Remote start
Gas + Remote start + CO sensor
Gas + Manual start + CO sensor
Dual fuel + Remote start
Dual fuel + Remote start + CO sensor
Dual fuel + Manual start + CO sensor
Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen4500DFcv
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse iGen4500DFcv is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Westinghouse iGen4500DFcv provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3,700W along with a peak wattage of 4,500W. While propane-powered, it provides 3,330 rated watts and 4,050 starting watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel cord (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator).
Regarding its running time, the iGen4500DFcv, with a 3.4 gallons fuel capacity can operate for up to 18 hours with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.19 GPH). When using propane, it can run for up to 22 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.21 GPH).
The iGen4500DFcv produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready.
The Westinghouse iGen4500DFcv's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L24.5 x W17.5 x H20 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
As the generator's weight is 100.3 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
Monitoring of the iGen4500DFcv's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the power output, lifetime run hours, remaining run time, voltage and fuel level and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the generator is on overload, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Westinghouse iGen4500DFcv also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, oil, funnel and tool kit. An official running cover and a suitable storage cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Westinghouse iGen4500DFcv is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen4500DFcv versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen4500DFcv compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a weight of 100.3 pounds, the Westinghouse iGen4500DFcv places in the expected weight range of the inverter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 52 dBA, it can be considered as one of the most quiet of the products generating similar power.
- As the iGen4500DFcv offers up to 18 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the inverter generators of a similar power. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Firman W03661OF, boasting with up to 25 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Standing at an estimated 0.19 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Champion 200988. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.16 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Westinghouse iGen4500DFcv is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Sensor
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Decent weight (100.3 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
The Westinghouse iGen4500DFcv doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,700 W||3,330 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W||4,050 W|
|Running amps||30.8 amps||27.8 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps||33.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||18 h||22 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, remaining run time and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 17.5 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and propane hose|
|Country of origin||Vietnam|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen4500DFcv is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2947 W||3947 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2940 W||3530 W|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.