Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen4500DF
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3700W and a peak wattage of 4500W. When propane-powered, it has 3330 rated watts and 4050 peak watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). The iGen4500DF can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
The iGen4500DF, with a fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons, reaches a run time of up to 18 hours utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.19 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of up to 18 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.26 GPH) with propane.
The iGen4500DF generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L24.5 x W17.5 x H20.5 in), the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The iGen4500DF's dry weight of 98 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, its wheel kit (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle will allow you to effortlessly shift it once it's on the ground.
One of the many iGen4500DF's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the voltage, lifetime run hours, remaining run time, power output and fuel level and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, the following accessories are also included: key fob, tool kit, propane hose, battery charger, funnel and oil.
The Westinghouse iGen4500DF is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen4500DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen4500DF compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF has only 98 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- With a lowest possible noise of 52 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the most quiet of the products delivering similar power.
- Given that the iGen4500DF reaches an autonomy of up to 18 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 100892, with up to 22 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.19 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.14 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (98 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
The Westinghouse iGen4500DF doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3700 W||3330 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W||4050 W|
|Running amps||30.8 amps||27.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps||33.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||18 h||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, remaining run time and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 17.5 x 20.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger, propane hose and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen4500DF is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2947 W||3947 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2945 W||3535 W|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
I can't find a parallel kit made for the igen4500DF? (Asked October 13, 2019)
Westinghouse are still waiting for them. They are expected first quarter 2020.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.