Gas + Remote start
Gas + Remote start + CO sensor
Gas + Manual start + CO sensor
Dual fuel + Remote start
Dual fuel + Remote start + CO sensor
Dual fuel + Manual start + CO sensor
Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen4500c
The Westinghouse iGen4500c is the newer version of the extremely popular iGen4500. It's a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iGen4500c is powered by a 224 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3,700W as well as a peak wattage of 4,500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel cord (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the iGen4500c can also be remotely started (key fob included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons, the iGen4500c can operate for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.19 GPH).
As the iGen4500c produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready.
As the Westinghouse iGen4500c is an inverter generator, its encased design (L24.5 x W17.5 x H20 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 105.8 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the iGen4500c's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the power output, voltage, fuel level, remaining run time and lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Westinghouse iGen4500c also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, battery charger, funnel, oil and key fob. An official running cover and a suitable storage cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Westinghouse iGen4500c is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen4500c versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen4500c compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With a dry weight of 105.8 pounds, the Westinghouse iGen4500c finds itself in the expected weight range for inverter generators able to produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 52 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the most quiet of the products of similar type and power.
- The iGen4500c, offering a run time of up to 18 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Firman W03661OF, boasting with up to 25 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.19 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Champion 200988. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.16 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W inverter generators, the Westinghouse iGen4500c is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Sensor
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Decent weight (105.8 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
The Westinghouse iGen4500c doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,700 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps||30.8 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, remaining run time and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 17.5 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen4500c is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2947 W||3947 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2945 W||3535 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.