Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen4500
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse iGen4500 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iGen4500 houses a 224 cc (7.3 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3700W along with a peak wattage of 4500W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the iGen4500 may also be remotely started (key fob included).
With a full tank, the iGen4500 can operate for up to 18 hours (fuel consumption around 0.19 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons.
The iGen4500 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Westinghouse generator is RV Ready.
The Westinghouse iGen4500 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L24.5 x W17.5 x H20.5 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The iGen4500 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 98 lbs. Furthermore, once placed on the floor, effortless displacement is possible thanks to its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle.
A digital data center, one of the features of the iGen4500's control panel, gives you information on the fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage, power output and remaining run time, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the generator is on overload.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Westinghouse iGen4500 also comes with some accessories: funnel, tool kit, battery charger, oil and key fob are included. A storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse iGen4500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Westinghouse iGen4500 weighs just 98 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 3500 to 4500 rated wattage generators. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 52 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the most quiet devices of similar power.
- Given that the iGen4500 reaches an autonomy of up to 18 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, as it provides up to 22 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.19 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.14 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Westinghouse iGen4500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (98 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
The Westinghouse iGen4500 doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3700 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30.8 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, remaining run time and voltage|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 17.5 x 20.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2947 W||3947 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2940 W||3530 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Changing oil for first time. What is the oil capacity of the igen4500? The key fob does not work. Do I need to program it? If so please tell me how. (Asked October 03, 2019)
The oil capacity is about 21 fl.oz. The key fob needs to be paired. To pair your remote to your iGen4500 press and hold the start button for 10 seconds the button will flash. At that point you can press either button on your remote and you have completed the pairing process.
Is a high altitude jet kit available for the unit? We need to use it at 8000 ft above sea level. (Asked June 08, 2020)
There is one, that is recommended up to 7000 ft. Its part number is 140573. Check this PDF file (opens in a new tab) to learn more about it.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.