Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen4500
In summary, the Westinghouse iGen4500 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iGen4500's core is the 224 cc (7.3 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3700W and a peak wattage of 4500W.
At a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than rainfall), this inverter generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). The iGen4500 can also be remotely started, offering further convenience. (key fob included).
The iGen4500 can operate for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.19 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons.
The iGen4500 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
This Westinghouse generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Westinghouse iGen4500's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L24.5 x W17.5 x H20.5 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
With a dry weight of 98 lbs, the iGen4500 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Additionally, it can be easily moved with the help of a wheel kit (⌀5.5") and a telecospic handle, once it is on the ground.
One of the many iGen4500's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the voltage, fuel level, power output, remaining run time and lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the generator is overloaded.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual to get you promptly started, the Westinghouse iGen4500 also comes with some accessories: key fob, funnel, tool kit, oil and battery charger are included.
The Westinghouse iGen4500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- In terms of its dry weigh, the Westinghouse iGen4500 stands at only 98 lbs, meaning that is one of the one of the lighter devices of the 3500-4500 rated wattage category If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 52 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 18 hours at 25% load, the iGen4500 benefits from one of the highest run time of generators of a similar output.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.19 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.14 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Westinghouse iGen4500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Lightweight for its kind (98 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- The Westinghouse iGen4500 doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3700 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, remaining run time and voltage|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 17.5 x 20.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob and battery charger|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
QChanging oil for first time. What is the oil capacity of the igen4500? The key fob does not work. Do I need to program it? If so please tell me how. (Asked October 3rd, 2019)
AThe oil capacity is about 21 fl.oz. The key fob needs to be paired. To pair your remote to your iGen4500 press and hold the start button for 10 seconds the button will flash. At that point you can press either button on your remote and you have completed the pairing process.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.