Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen4200
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iGen4200's core is the 212 cc (5.9 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3500W and a peak wattage of 4200W.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 60 dBA (just as noisy as a normal conversation).
With a full tank, the iGen4200 can operate for up to 18 hours (fuel consumption around 0.14 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the iGen4200 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
This Westinghouse generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Westinghouse iGen4200 has the following dimensions: L24 x W19.5 x H19 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the iGen4200's weight is only 82 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
The iGen4200's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the generator is overloaded.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and a user manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Westinghouse iGen4200 also comes with several accessories, including: oil, tool kit and funnel.
The Westinghouse iGen4200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen4200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen4200 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Westinghouse iGen4200 weighs just 82 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 3000 to 4000 rated wattage generators. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Generac GP3500iO, weighing just 74.3 pounds.
- With a lowest possible noise of 60 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Since the iGen4200 boasts with a run time of 18 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Energizer eZG3500, boasting with 19.5 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.14 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (82 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (60 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
Where to buy the Westinghouse iGen4200?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4200 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||35 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 2.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 19.5 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen4200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.