Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen2200
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iGen2200 houses a 79 cc (3 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1800W along with a peak wattage of 2200W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (Westinghouse WHPC Parallel Cord (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The iGen2200 can operate for up to 12 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the iGen2200 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L19.8 x W11.4 x H17.9 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
The iGen2200 is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 46 lbs. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
The light indicators show you if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Westinghouse iGen2200, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, funnel and oil. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen2200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Westinghouse iGen2200 only weighs in at 46 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 200949, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 52 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Given that the iGen2200 reaches an autonomy of up to 12 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Predator 2000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (46 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||12 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 11.4 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
The carburetor of my generator iGen2200 is broken. Where can I get one? (Asked January 8, 2020)
Spare parts can be directly bought from Westinghouse. Use the phone number stated in the warranty section above to place your order.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.