No CO sensor
Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen2200
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iGen2200's design includes a gasoline-fueled 80 cc (3 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1800W and also a peak wattage of 2200W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (Westinghouse WHPC Parallel Cord (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.14 gallon, the iGen2200 can operate for up to 12 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
As the iGen2200 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L19.8 x W11.4 x H17.9 in), the Westinghouse iGen2200, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the iGen2200 weighs just 46.3 lbs. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is on overload, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Westinghouse iGen2200 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, tool kit and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen2200 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its weight is 46.3 pounds, the Westinghouse iGen2200 falls in the expected weight range of the inverters in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM2000i, standing at just 34.2 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 52 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar type and power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Since the iGen2200 boasts with a run time of up to 12 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most inverter generators of a comparable output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the DuroMax XP2300iH, with up to 13 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the DuroMax XP2300iH, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (46.3 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||12 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 1.14 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 11.4 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
The carburetor of my generator iGen2200 is broken. Where can I get one? (Asked January 8, 2020)
Spare parts can be directly bought from Westinghouse. Use the phone number stated in the warranty section above to place your order.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.