Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen2200
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iGen2200's design includes a gasoline-fueled 79 cc (3 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1800W and also a peak wattage of 2200W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (Westinghouse WHPC Parallel Cord (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb).
With a full tank, the iGen2200 can operate for up to 12 hours (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the iGen2200 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
As the Westinghouse iGen2200 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L19.8 x W11.4 x H17.9 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the iGen2200 weighs just 46 lbs. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
When the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Westinghouse iGen2200 also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, funnel and oil.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen2200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Westinghouse iGen2200 has only 46 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 200949, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 52 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- The iGen2200, offering a run time of up to 12 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Predator 2000 is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (46 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||12 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 11.4 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
The carburetor of my generator iGen2200 is broken. Where can I get one? (Asked January 8, 2020)
Spare parts can be directly bought from Westinghouse. Use the phone number stated in the warranty section above to place your order.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.