Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen2200
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iGen2200's core is the 79 cc (3 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1800W and a peak wattage of 2200W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (Westinghouse WHPC Parallel Cord (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
With a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the iGen2200 may run for up to 12 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the iGen2200 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
As the Westinghouse iGen2200 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L19.8 x W11.4 x H17.9 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the iGen2200 weighs just 46 lbs. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
Several light indicators serve to show you when its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Westinghouse iGen2200 also comes with some accessories: funnel, tool kit and oil are included. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen2200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Westinghouse iGen2200 only weighs in at 46 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 52 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Given that the iGen2200 reaches an autonomy of up to 12 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Predator 2000 is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (46 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||12 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 11.4 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
The carburetor of my generator iGen2200 is broken. Where can I get one? (Asked January 8, 2020)
Spare parts can be directly bought from Westinghouse. Use the phone number stated in the warranty section above to place your order.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.