Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen1200
In summary, the Westinghouse iGen1200 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iGen1200's design includes a gasoline-fueled 54 cc (1.8 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1000W and also a peak wattage of 1200W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (Westinghouse WHPC Parallel Cord (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 0.8 gallon allows the iGen1200 to operate for up to 9 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH).
The iGen1200 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Since the Westinghouse iGen1200 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L18 x W10 x H15.5 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the iGen1200 weighs just 33 lbs. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 9th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Westinghouse iGen1200 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen1200 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Westinghouse iGen1200 has only 33 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 500 to 1500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, standing at just 20.3 lbs.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 52 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU1000i. With just 42 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the iGen1200 offers up to 9 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Yamaha EF1000iS, with up to 11.9 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Yamaha EF1000iS, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.06 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Westinghouse iGen1200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (33 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||54 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1000 W|
|Starting watts||1200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||9 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 0.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 10 x 15.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||730 W||1180 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||730 W||960 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.