Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen1200
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse iGen1200 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iGen1200 houses a 54 cc (1.8 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1000W along with a peak wattage of 1200W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (Westinghouse WHPC Parallel Cord not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 0.8 gallon allows the iGen1200 to operate for up to 9 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH).
The iGen1200 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L18 x W10 x H15.5 in. Thus, it is more esthetical than conventional, open frame products. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
With the weight of only 33 lbs, the iGen1200 may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
When the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Westinghouse iGen1200, the following accessories are also included: oil, tool kit and funnel.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen1200 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Westinghouse iGen1200 has only 33 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 500 to 1500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN1000i, weighing just 20.3 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 52 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU1000i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 42 dBA.
- The iGen1200, offering a run time of 9 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Yamaha EF1000iS, boasting with 11.9 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator This inverter generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.09 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.06 GPH, the Yamaha EF1000iS is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Westinghouse iGen1200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (33 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Westinghouse iGen1200?
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||54 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1000 W|
|Starting watts||1200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||9 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 0.8 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 10 x 15.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.