Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen1200
In summary, the Westinghouse iGen1200 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iGen1200 houses a 54 cc (1.8 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1000W along with a peak wattage of 1200W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (Westinghouse WHPC Parallel Cord (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home).
With a fuel capacity of 0.8 gallon, the iGen1200 may run for up to 9 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH).
As the iGen1200 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L18 x W10 x H15.5 in), the Westinghouse iGen1200, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
With a weight of only 33 lbs, the iGen1200 may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 9th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Westinghouse iGen1200, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, funnel and oil.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen1200 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Westinghouse iGen1200 weighs just 33 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 500 to 1500 rated wattage generators. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of only 20.3 lbs.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 52 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU1000i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 42 dBA.
- Given that the iGen1200 reaches an autonomy of up to 9 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Yamaha EF1000iS, reaching up to 11.9 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.09 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.06 GPH, the Yamaha EF1000iS is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Westinghouse iGen1200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (33 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||54 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1000 W|
|Starting watts||1200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||9 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 0.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 10 x 15.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||730 W||1180 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||730 W||960 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.