Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen1200
In summary, the Westinghouse iGen1200 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iGen1200 houses a 54 cc (1.8 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1000W along with a peak wattage of 1200W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (Westinghouse WHPC Parallel Cord (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 0.8 gallon, the iGen1200 may run for up to 9 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH).
The iGen1200 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L18 x W10 x H15.5 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
The iGen1200 is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 33 lbs. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
Good to know: This unit ranks 8th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
The light indicators show you if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is on overload.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Westinghouse iGen1200 also comes with some accessories: tool kit, oil and funnel are included.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen1200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Westinghouse iGen1200 only weighs in at 33 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 1000-2000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the ECHO EGi-1200, standing at just 30 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 52 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As for its autonomy, the iGen1200, with an autonomy of up to 9 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Predator 2000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Westinghouse iGen1200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (33 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||54 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1000 W|
|Starting watts||1200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peak amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||9 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 0.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 10 x 15.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||730 W||1180 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||730 W||960 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.