Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen1200
In summary, the Westinghouse iGen1200 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iGen1200's core is the 54 cc (1.8 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1000W and a peak wattage of 1200W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (Westinghouse WHPC Parallel Cord (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the iGen1200 can operate for up to 9 hours (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 0.8 gallon.
As the iGen1200 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Since the Westinghouse iGen1200 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L18 x W10 x H15.5 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Since the iGen1200 weighs only 33 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
Good to know: This unit ranks 9th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse iGen1200's package also includes these accessories: funnel, oil and tool kit.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen1200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Westinghouse iGen1200 weighs just 33 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 1000 to 2000 rated wattage generators. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the ECHO EGi-1200, with a dry weight of only 30 lbs.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 52 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the iGen1200 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Predator 2000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Westinghouse iGen1200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (33 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||54 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1000 W|
|Starting watts||1200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||9 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 0.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 10 x 15.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||730 W||1180 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||730 W||960 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.