Zoom on the Westinghouse iGen1200
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse iGen1200 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Westinghouse iGen1200 houses a 54 cc (1.8 hp) Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1000W along with a peak wattage of 1200W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (Westinghouse WHPC Parallel Cord (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 0.8 gallon, the iGen1200 may run for up to 9 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the iGen1200 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L18 x W10 x H15.5 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the iGen1200 weighs just 33 lbs. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
Good to know: This unit ranks 9th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Westinghouse iGen1200's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, oil and funnel.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse iGen1200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Westinghouse iGen1200 only weighs in at 33 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 1000-2000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the ECHO EGi-1200, standing at just 30 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 52 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As for its autonomy, the iGen1200, with an autonomy of up to 9 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Predator 2000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Westinghouse iGen1200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (33 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||54 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1000 W|
|Starting watts||1200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peak amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||9 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 0.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 10 x 15.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators. Portable generators – the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse – used to be manufactured by Westpro Power Systems, which was bought in 2016 by Midwest Equipment. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse iGen1200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||730 W||1180 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||730 W||960 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.