Zoom on the WEN GN9500
In a nutshell, the WEN GN9500 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
Power & Run Time
The WEN GN9500's engine, 420 cc (10 hp) OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 7500W and reaches a peak wattage of 9500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the GN9500 may also be remotely started (key fob included).
With a full tank, the GN9500 can operate for around 7.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.8 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 6 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 10A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready. In addition, since the GN9500 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The WEN GN9500 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27.3 x W20.8 x H22.2 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 194 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
One of the many GN9500's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the voltage and lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the WEN GN9500 also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit and key fob.
The WEN GN9500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The WEN GN9500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN GN9500 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- At a weight of 194 pounds, the WEN GN9500 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 7000-8000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, standing at just 133 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 72 dBA, the generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA8000iSF. With just 65 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The GN9500's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 7.5 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, with around 13 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.8 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA8000iSF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.52 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the WEN GN9500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Quiet for its power (72 dBA)
- Decent weight (194 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||9500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 10A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Fuel tank||6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.3 x 20.8 x 22.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, key fob, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN GN9500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4880 W||9380 W|
Where is the WEN GN9500 engine made ? (Asked February 12, 2021)
The engine is manufactured in China.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.