Zoom on the WEN GN875i
In a nutshell, the WEN GN875i is a powerful portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The WEN GN875i houses a 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 7,000W along with a peak wattage of 8,750W.
This inverter generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The fuel capacity of 4.2 gallons allows the GN875i to operate for around 6.7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.63 GPH).
The GN875i generates a clean sine wave: providing <1.5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready. In addition, as the GN875i holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The WEN GN875i has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L26.8 x W26.4 x H23.2 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 136.7 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its set of wheels and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
To help you monitor the GN875i's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the generator is overloaded, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the WEN GN875i also comes with several accessories, including: 2 altitude kits and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The WEN GN875i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The WEN GN875i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN GN875i compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Weight-wise, the WEN GN875i has only 136.7 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 6500 to 7500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF with only 133 pounds.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 6.7 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the GN875i is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Generac XC6500E, with around 14 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.63 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV7500, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.45 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W inverter generators, the WEN GN875i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (136.7 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||7,000 W|
|Starting watts||8,750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||72.9/36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||4.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.8 x 26.4 x 23.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, 2 altitude kits, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN GN875i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5587 W||7062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5580 W||6000 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4210 W||8710 W|
Can you retrofit a larger fuel tank or add an extended tank. I like the unit but for extended emergency operations it is a very short full tank run time. Didn't see any other options on the Wen site (Asked January 24, 2022)
It could be possible to add an extended tank, but keep in mind that gasoline is gravity-fed.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.