No CO sensor
Zoom on the WEN GN875i
In summary, the WEN GN875i is a powerful portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The WEN GN875i's core is the 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 7000W and a peak wattage of 8750W.
Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The GN875i can operate for around 6.7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.63 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4.2 gallons.
The GN875i produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <1.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready. In addition, because the GN875i is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
With its dimensions of L26.8 x W26.4 x H23.2 in, the conventional, open frame design of the WEN GN875i offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 136.7 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its set of wheels and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The control panel of the GN875i includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and the oil level is too low.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the WEN GN875i also is packed along with the following accessories: 2 altitude kits and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The WEN GN875i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN GN875i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN GN875i compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the WEN GN875i only weighs in at 136.7 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, standing at just 133 lbs.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 6.7 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the GN875i falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500E, which is able to run for around 14 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.63 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.38 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W inverter generators, the WEN GN875i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (136.7 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||72.9/36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||4.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.8 x 26.4 x 23.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, 2 altitude kits, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN GN875i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5595 W||7095 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||5590 W||6180 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4210 W||8710 W|
Can you retrofit a larger fuel tank or add an extended tank. I like the unit but for extended emergency operations it is a very short full tank run time. Didn't see any other options on the Wen site (Asked January 24, 2022)
It could be possible to add an extended tank, but keep in mind that gasoline is gravity-fed.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.