Zoom on the WEN GN875i
In a nutshell, the WEN GN875i is a powerful portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
Power & Run Time
The WEN GN875i's core is the 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 7000W and a peak wattage of 8750W.
This inverter generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The fuel capacity of 4.2 gallons allows the GN875i to operate for around 6.7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.63 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the GN875i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <1.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready. In addition, because the GN875i is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The WEN GN875i has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L26.8 x W26.4 x H23.2 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 136.7 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the GN875i includes a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is overloaded.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the WEN GN875i also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit and 2 altitude kits.
The WEN GN875i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The WEN GN875i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN GN875i compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Weight-wise, the WEN GN875i has only 136.7 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 6500 to 7500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- The GN875i's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 6.7 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Generac XC6500, reaching around 14 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.63 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the WEN GN875i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (136.7 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||72.9/36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||4.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.8 x 26.4 x 23.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, 2 altitude kits, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN GN875i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5595 W||7095 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||5590 W||6180 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4210 W||8710 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.