ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 16
Zoom on the WEN GN4500
In summary, the WEN GN4500 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The WEN GN4500's core is the 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3,600W and a peak wattage of 4,500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The GN4500 can operate for around 13 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.31 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready.
The dimensions of the WEN GN4500, which are L23.3 x W18 x H18.8 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The GN4500 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 97.9 lbs. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
The GN4500's control center features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the WEN GN4500, the following accessories are also included: tool kit and oil.
The WEN GN4500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN GN4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN GN4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Weight-wise, the WEN GN4500 has only 97.9 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 65 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- The GN4500 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 13 hours at 50% load. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 4375, reaching around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.31 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.23 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the WEN GN4500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (97.9 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,600 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.3 x 18 x 18.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN GN4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2867 W||3867 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2840 W||3430 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
I essentially agree with you on strengths and weaknesses, at least for the plus/minus 4 hours it ran. It starts and runs and it appears there is at least power for charging the RV batteries, but nothing AC works at all. Hopefully, it’s not a serious problem.