Zoom on the WEN GN400i
In a nutshell, the WEN GN400i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The WEN GN400i's core is the 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3500W and a peak wattage of 4000W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (WEN Parallel Connection Kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 67 dBA (less noisy than an office). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.85 gallon, the GN400i can operate for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the GN400i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <1.2% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
This WEN generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The WEN GN400i has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L19.8 x W13.8 x H18.9 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
The 66.1 lbs of the GN400i's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is overloaded.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the GN400i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside of the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the WEN GN400i also comes with some accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit are included.
The WEN GN400i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN GN400i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN GN400i compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the WEN GN400i weighs just 66.1 pounds and thus, it is one of the lightest 3000 to 4000 rated wattage generators.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 67 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cat INV4000E, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 51 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 7 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the GN400i falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the WEN GN400i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (66.1 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (67 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.85 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 13.8 x 18.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN GN400i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Does this model have a fuel shutoff? (Asked February 26, 2020)
This model has a manual fuel shutoff. There's a valve that you can turn to the OFF position in order to let the generator run until the fuel is used up.
Does the Wen 400i has electric start? (Asked September 07, 2020)
The unit is recoil start only.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.