Zoom on the WEN GN400i
In a nutshell, the WEN GN400i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The WEN GN400i's build contains a gasoline-fueled 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3500W and also a peak wattage of 4000W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (WEN Parallel Connection Kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
At a noise rating of 67 dBA (less noisy than background music), the inverter generator offers the possibility to start the device via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the GN400i can operate for around 7 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.85 gallon.
The GN400i produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <1.2% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
While this WEN generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The WEN GN400i has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L19.8 x W13.8 x H18.9 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
The 66.1 lbs of the GN400i's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
The device’s light indicators will display if the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the GN400i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside of the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the WEN GN400i, the following accessories are also included: oil, funnel and tool kit.
The WEN GN400i is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The WEN GN400i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN GN400i compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- In terms of its dry weigh, the WEN GN400i stands at only 66.1 lbs, meaning that is one of the one of the lighter devices of the 3000-4000 rated wattage category
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 67 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Westinghouse iGen4500, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 7 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the GN400i falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EB4000, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the WEN GN400i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (66.1 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (67 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.85 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 13.8 x 18.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN GN400i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.