Zoom on the WEN GN400i
In a nutshell, the WEN GN400i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
Power & Run Time
The WEN GN400i is powered by a 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3,500W as well as a peak wattage of 4,000W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (WEN Parallel Connection Kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 67 dBA (less noisy than an office), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.85 gallon, the GN400i can operate for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the GN400i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
This WEN generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The design of the WEN GN400i is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L19.8 x W13.8 x H18.9 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the GN400i's weight is only 66.1 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
When the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the GN400i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker), an automatic low oil shut-off and a low fuel automatic shutdown, giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the WEN GN400i, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, oil, funnel and 2 altitude kits. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The WEN GN400i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The WEN GN400i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN GN400i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As for its weight, the WEN GN400i weighs only 66.1 pounds, making it one of the lighter inverter generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest emitted noise of 67 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the GN400i, reaching around 7 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other inverters of a roughly equal output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, as it provides around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a fuel consumption of 0.22 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 3000-4000W inverter generators, the WEN GN400i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (66.1 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (67 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Yes, cable not included
|212 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|2x 5V USB port
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Steel, 1.85 gal
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|19.8 x 13.8 x 18.9 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil, overload and low fuel protection
|Oil, funnel, tool kit, and 2 altitude kits
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN GN400i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
|Cell phone charger
Does this model have a fuel shutoff? (Asked February 26, 2020)
This model has a manual fuel shutoff. There's a valve that you can turn to the OFF position in order to let the generator run until the fuel is used up.
Does the Wen 400i has electric start? (Asked September 07, 2020)
The unit is recoil start only.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.