No CO sensor
Zoom on the WEN GN400i
In a nutshell, the WEN GN400i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The WEN GN400i's core is the 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3500W and a peak wattage of 4000W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (WEN Parallel Connection Kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be increased if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 67 dBA (less noisy than background music).
The GN400i can operate for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.85 gallon.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the GN400i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <1.2% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
This WEN generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
With its dimensions of L19.8 x W13.8 x H18.9 in, the conventional, open frame design of the WEN GN400i offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 66.1 lbs, the GN400i can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is on overload, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the GN400i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off, an overload protection (circuit breaker) and a low fuel automatic shutdown.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the WEN GN400i also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, oil, 2 altitude kits and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The WEN GN400i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The WEN GN400i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN GN400i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Weight-wise, the WEN GN400i has only 66.1 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter inverter generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM3300i, weighing just 47.4 pounds.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 67 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cummins Onan P4500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- The GN400i's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its type and power range, as it reaches only around 7 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Genmax GM3300i, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.22 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W inverter generators, the WEN GN400i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (66.1 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (67 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.85 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 13.8 x 18.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and 2 altitude kits|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN GN400i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2787 W||3787 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Does this model have a fuel shutoff? (Asked February 26, 2020)
This model has a manual fuel shutoff. There's a valve that you can turn to the OFF position in order to let the generator run until the fuel is used up.
Does the Wen 400i has electric start? (Asked September 07, 2020)
The unit is recoil start only.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.