Zoom on the WEN GN400i
In summary, the WEN GN400i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The WEN GN400i's design includes a gasoline-fueled 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3,500W and also a peak wattage of 4,000W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (WEN Parallel Connection Kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be increased if linked to a second compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 67 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.85 gallon, the GN400i may run for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH).
As the GN400i produces a clean sine wave, with a <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready.
The WEN GN400i has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L19.8 x W13.8 x H18.9 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
With a dry weight of 66.1 lbs, the GN400i can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
When the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the GN400i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off, an overload protection (circuit breaker) and a low fuel automatic shutdown.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the WEN GN400i also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, funnel, 2 altitude kits and oil. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The WEN GN400i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The WEN GN400i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN GN400i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the WEN GN400i weighs just 66.1 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 3000 to 4000 rated wattage inverter generators. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 67 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the GN400i, reaching around 7 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other inverters of a roughly equal output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, with around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.22 GPH, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is a device you could look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W inverter generators, the WEN GN400i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (66.1 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (67 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.85 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 13.8 x 18.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and 2 altitude kits|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN GN400i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Does this model have a fuel shutoff? (Asked February 26, 2020)
This model has a manual fuel shutoff. There's a valve that you can turn to the OFF position in order to let the generator run until the fuel is used up.
Does the Wen 400i has electric start? (Asked September 07, 2020)
The unit is recoil start only.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.