-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 0
Zoom on the WEN DF623X
In summary, the WEN DF623X is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the WEN DF623X allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 5,000W and a starting wattage of 6,250W. If propane-powered, it gives 4,500 rated watts and 5,625 starting watts.
This generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 2.9 gallons, the DF623X can operate for around 6 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.48 GPH), or for around 9.3 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.51 GPH) using propane.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the DF623X is not recommended due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 10A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready. In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the DF623X is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The WEN DF623X has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L26.1 x W23.4 x H22.1 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 132 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The DF623X's control center features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
The unit also benefits from WEN's CO Watchdog carbon monoxide detection. This system measures the accumulation of poisonous CO gas while the generator is running. If the level of CO gas gets too high, the CO Watchdog system will automatically shut down the generator.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the WEN DF623X also comes with several accessories, including: funnel, tool kit, oil and propane hose. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The WEN DF623X is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The WEN DF623X versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF623X compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the WEN DF623X only weighs in at 132 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter dual fuel generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM6000iED, with a dry weight of only 117.9 lbs.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 6 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the DF623X falls into the low end in comparison with other dual fuel devices of a comparable power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar G65BN, boasting with around 11.5 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.48 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.43 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W dual fuel generators, the WEN DF623X is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Watchdog
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (132 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||272 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5,000 W||4,500 W|
|Starting watts||6,250 W||5,625 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps||46.9/23.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h||9.3 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 10A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||2.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.1 x 23.4 x 22.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF623X is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3972 W||5447 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3985 W||4405 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3530 W||6230 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.