Zoom on the WEN DF623X
In summary, the WEN DF623X is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile WEN DF623X provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 5,000W along with a peak wattage of 6,250W. While propane-powered, it provides 4,500 rated watts and 5,625 starting watts.
This generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 2.9 gallons, the DF623X can operate for around 6 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.48 GPH), or for around 9.3 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.51 GPH) using propane.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the DF623X is not recommended due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 10A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready. In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the DF623X is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the WEN DF623X is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L26.1 x W23.4 x H22.1 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 132 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The DF623X and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from WEN's CO Watchdog carbon monoxide detection. This system measures the accumulation of poisonous CO gas while the generator is running. If the level of CO gas gets too high, the CO Watchdog system will automatically shut down the generator.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the WEN DF623X's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, funnel, propane hose and oil. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The WEN DF623X is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN DF623X versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF623X compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As for its weight, the WEN DF623X weighs only 132 pounds, making it one of the lighter dual fuel generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM6000iED, weighing just 117.9 pounds.
- As for its autonomy, the DF623X, with an autonomy of around 6 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar G65BN, reaching around 11.5 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.48 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen5300DF, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.43 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W dual fuel generators, the WEN DF623X is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Watchdog
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (132 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||272 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5,000 W||4,500 W|
|Starting watts||6,250 W||5,625 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps||46.9/23.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h||9.3 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 10A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||2.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.1 x 23.4 x 22.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF623X is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3972 W||5447 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3985 W||4405 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3530 W||6230 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.