Zoom on the WEN DF475T
In a nutshell, the WEN DF475T is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the WEN DF475T allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3800W and a starting wattage of 4750W. If propane-powered, it gives 3500 rated watts and 4350 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the DF475T can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH), or for around 7 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.67 GPH) using propane.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the DF475T is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the WEN DF475T, which are L23.2 x W17.5 x H18.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 105.8 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the WEN DF475T's package also includes these accessories: oil and propane hose.
The WEN DF475T is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The WEN DF475T versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF475T compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- In terms of its dry weigh, the WEN DF475T stands at only 105.8 lbs, meaning that is one of the one of the lighter devices of the 3500-4500 rated wattage category If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Energizer eZV4500 with only 78 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA is on the noisier side. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the DF475T, with an autonomy of 11 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000, which is able to run for 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the WEN DF475T is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (105.8 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Where to buy the WEN DF475T?
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3800 W||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4750 W||4350 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||31.7/15.8 amps||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||39.6/19.8 amps||36.3/18.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 17.5 x 18.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF475T is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.