Manual start + CO sensor
Electric start + Wheel kit
Electric start + Wheel kit + CO sensor
Zoom on the WEN DF472X
In a nutshell, the WEN DF472X is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the WEN DF472X delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3,800W and a peak wattage of 4,750W. When propane-powered, it has 3,500 rated watts and 4,350 peak watts.
This generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the DF472X can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH), or for around 7 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.67 GPH) using propane.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
As the DF472X holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The design of the WEN DF472X is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23.1 x W17.5 x H18.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 102.5 pounds.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The unit also benefits from WEN's CO Watchdog carbon monoxide detection. This system measures the accumulation of poisonous CO gas while the generator is running. If the level of CO gas gets too high, the CO Watchdog system will automatically shut down the generator. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the WEN DF472X's package also includes these accessories: propane hose, oil and tool kit.
The WEN DF472X is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN DF472X versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF472X compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 102.5 lbs, the WEN DF472X belongs in the expected weight range for dual fuel devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN DF402iX, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- Offering around 11 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the DF472X is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful dual fuel generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.23 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel generators, the WEN DF472X is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Watchdog
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (102.5 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,800 W||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,750 W||4,350 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||31.7/15.8 amps||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||39.6/19.8 amps||36.3/18.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.1 x 17.5 x 18.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF472X is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3017 W||4492 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3035 W||3455 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||1880 W||4580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.