Gas + Manual start
Gas + Manual start + CO sensor
Gas + Electric start
Dual fuel + Manual start
Dual fuel + Electric start
Dual fuel + Remote start + CO sensor
Zoom on the WEN DF452iX
In a nutshell, the WEN DF452iX is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the WEN DF452iX allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3,500W and a starting wattage of 4,500W. If propane-powered, it gives 3,150 rated watts and 4,500 starting watts. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
WEN’s Auto Fuel Selection technology automatically selects the fuel source (LPG or gasoline) depending on availability and prioritizes LPG. Thus, if a propane tank with enough LPG is connected, the generator will automatically use LPG. If no propane tank is connected, or if there is not enough LPG remaining in the tank, the generator will use gasoline.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the DF452iX can also be remotely started (key fob included).
With a fuel capacity of 2.2 gallons, the DF452iX can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH), or for around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH) using propane.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the DF452iX generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
This WEN generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The WEN DF452iX is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L23.2 x W18 x H20.1 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Since the generator weighs 100 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its set of 2 wheels and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the DF452iX includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the power output, fuel level, frequency, voltage and lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the DF452iX to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with a low fuel automatic shutdown, an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
The unit also benefits from WEN's CO Watchdog carbon monoxide detection. This system measures the accumulation of poisonous CO gas while the generator is running. If the level of CO gas gets too high, the CO Watchdog system will automatically shut down the generator.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the WEN DF452iX also comes with several accessories, including: dual port USB adapter, natural gas hose with NPT adapter, key fob, tool kit and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The WEN DF452iX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The WEN DF452iX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF452iX compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a weight of 100 pounds, the WEN DF452iX places in the expected weight range of the inverter generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of only 46 lbs.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 58 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500DF. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The DF452iX, falls within the average autonomy range compared to inverter generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 8.5 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a fuel consumption of 0.22 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 3000-4000W dual fuel inverter generators, the WEN DF452iX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Watchdog
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Auto Fuel Selection technology
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (100 lbs)
- Decent run time
The WEN DF452iX doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Yes, cable not included
|Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)
|212 cc OHV 4-stroke
|Recoil, Electric, Remote
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|23.2 x 18 x 20.1 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil, overload and low fuel protection, CO monitoring
|Funnel, tool kit, key fob, natural gas hose with NPT adapter, dual port USB adapter, and battery
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF452iX is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
|Cell phone charger
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.