Zoom on the WEN DF402iX
In a nutshell, the WEN DF402iX is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the WEN DF402iX allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3,500W and a starting wattage of 4,000W. If propane-powered, it gives 3,200 rated watts and 3,600 starting watts. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (GNA50i parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
This inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
As for its running time, the DF402iX, along with its 1.85 gallon fuel capacity, can run for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 9.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.49 GPH).
The DF402iX generates a clean sine wave: providing <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready.
The design of the WEN DF402iX is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L19.8 x W13.8 x H18.9 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the DF402iX's weight is only 66.1 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
The device’s light indicators will display if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features a low fuel automatic shutdown, an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
The unit also benefits from WEN's CO Watchdog carbon monoxide detection. This system measures the accumulation of poisonous CO gas while the generator is running. If the level of CO gas gets too high, the CO Watchdog system will automatically shut down the generator.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the WEN DF402iX's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, 2 altitude kits, funnel and propane hose. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The WEN DF402iX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The WEN DF402iX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF402iX compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Weight-wise, the WEN DF402iX has only 66.1 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter inverter generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of just 46 pounds.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the DF402iX, reaching around 7 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other inverters of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, reaching around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PGD40iSCO. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.22 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W dual fuel inverter generators, the WEN DF402iX is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- CO Watchdog
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (66.1 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,500 W||3,200 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W||3,600 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||26.7 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps||30 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h||9.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.85 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 13.8 x 18.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and 2 altitude kits|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF402iX is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2787 W||3787 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
What's the next size up? (Asked July 11, 2023)
You may want to have a look at this list of WEN inverter generators. They all provide over 3,500 running watts.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.