No CO sensor
Zoom on the WEN DF400iX
The WEN DF400iX is the newer version of the popular DF400i. It's a quiet and compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the WEN DF400iX allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3,200W and a starting wattage of 4,000W. If propane-powered, it gives 2,900 rated watts and 3,200 starting watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), its power may be increased if linked to a second compatible unit.
WEN’s Auto Fuel Selection technology automatically selects the fuel source (LPG or gasoline) depending on availability and prioritizes LPG. Thus, if a propane tank with enough LPG is connected, the generator will automatically use LPG. If no propane tank is connected, or if there is not enough LPG remaining in the tank, the generator will use gasoline.
With a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 2.2 gallons, the DF400iX can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH), or for around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH) using propane.
The DF400iX generates a clean sine wave: providing <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries and two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready.
The WEN DF400iX is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L23.2 x W18 x H20.1 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 100 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its set of 2 wheels and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the DF400iX includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the frequency, power output, lifetime run hours, fuel level and voltage.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the DF400iX to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
The unit also benefits from WEN's CO Watchdog carbon monoxide detection. This system measures the accumulation of poisonous CO gas while the generator is running. If the level of CO gas gets too high, the CO Watchdog system will automatically shut down the generator.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the WEN DF400iX, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, funnel and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The WEN DF400iX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The WEN DF400iX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF400iX compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 100 lbs, the WEN DF400iX belongs in the expected weight range for inverter generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 58 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar type and power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- The DF400iX, falls within the average autonomy range compared to inverter generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 8.5 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Ryobi RYi4022X, as it provides around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.22 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W dual fuel inverter generators, the WEN DF400iX is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- CO Watchdog
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Auto Fuel Selection technology
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (100 lbs)
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,200 W||2,900 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W||3,200 W|
|Running amps||26.7 amps||24.2 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps||26.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
2x 5V USB port (USB-A)
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 18 x 20.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF400iX is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2542 W||3542 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2545 W||3135 W|
|Total||2550 W||3800 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.