No CO sensor
Zoom on the WEN DF400iX
The WEN DF400iX is the newer version of the popular DF400i. It's a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the WEN DF400iX allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3,200W and a starting wattage of 4,000W. If propane-powered, it gives 2,900 rated watts and 3,200 starting watts. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
WEN’s Auto Fuel Selection technology automatically selects the fuel source (LPG or gasoline) depending on availability and prioritizes LPG. Thus, if a propane tank with enough LPG is connected, the generator will automatically use LPG. If no propane tank is connected, or if there is not enough LPG remaining in the tank, the generator will use gasoline.
With a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than rainfall), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The DF400iX, with a fuel capacity of 2.2 gallons, reaches a run time of around 8.5 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH) with propane.
The DF400iX produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy and two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L23.2 x W18 x H20.1 in), the WEN DF400iX, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 100 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its set of 2 wheels and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the DF400iX's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the voltage, lifetime run hours, fuel level, power output and frequency.
In addition to this info, when the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the DF400iX to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from WEN's CO Watchdog carbon monoxide detection. This system measures the accumulation of poisonous CO gas while the generator is running. If the level of CO gas gets too high, the CO Watchdog system will automatically shut down the generator. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the WEN DF400iX also comes with some accessories: tool kit, propane hose and funnel are included. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The WEN DF400iX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The WEN DF400iX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF400iX compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 100 lbs, the WEN DF400iX belongs in the expected weight range for inverters which can produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of just 46 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar type and power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU3000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 50 dBA.
- Given that the DF400iX reaches an autonomy of around 8.5 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful inverter generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Ryobi RYi4022X, as it provides around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.22 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W dual fuel inverter generators, the WEN DF400iX is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- CO Watchdog
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Auto Fuel Selection technology
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (100 lbs)
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,200 W||2,900 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W||3,200 W|
|Running amps||26.7 amps||24.2 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps||26.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) |
2x 5V USB port (USB-A)
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 18 x 20.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF400iX is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2542 W||3542 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2545 W||3135 W|
|Total||2550 W||3800 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.