-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 26
No CO sensor
Zoom on the WEN DF250iX
In a nutshell, the WEN DF250iX is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the WEN DF250iX allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 2,250W and a starting wattage of 2,500W. If propane-powered, it gives 1,800 rated watts and 2,000 starting watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
WEN’s Auto Fuel Selection technology automatically selects the fuel source (LPG or gasoline) depending on availability and prioritizes LPG. Thus, if a propane tank with enough LPG is connected, the generator will automatically use LPG. If no propane tank is connected, or if there is not enough LPG remaining in the tank, the generator will use gasoline.
With a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than rainfall), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The DF250iX, with a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, reaches a run time of around 6 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 17 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.28 GPH) with propane.
The DF250iX generates a clean sine wave: providing <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
The WEN DF250iX's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L19 x W11.5 x H18.2 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
With a weight of only 48.5 lbs, the DF250iX may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
When the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the DF250iX to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker), an automatic low oil shut-off and a low fuel automatic shutdown, giving you a peace of mind during use.
The unit also benefits from WEN's CO Watchdog carbon monoxide detection. This system measures the accumulation of poisonous CO gas while the generator is running. If the level of CO gas gets too high, the CO Watchdog system will automatically shut down the generator.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the WEN DF250iX, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, funnel and propane hose.
The WEN DF250iX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The WEN DF250iX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF250iX compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its weight is 48.5 pounds, the WEN DF250iX falls in the expected weight range of the inverters in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM2000i with only 34.2 pounds.
- With a lowest possible noise of 52 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 6 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the DF250iX falls into the low end in comparison with other inverters of a comparable power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen2200c, reaching around 10 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.2 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200c, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.11 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the WEN DF250iX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Watchdog
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Auto Fuel Selection technology
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Decent weight (48.5 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||2,250 W||1,800 W|
|Starting watts||2,500 W||2,000 W|
|Running amps||18.8 amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h||17 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19 x 11.5 x 18.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF250iX is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1790 W||1790 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1790 W||2380 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1760 W||1760 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.