No CO sensor
Zoom on the WEN DF250iX
In summary, the WEN DF250iX is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile WEN DF250iX provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 2,250W along with a peak wattage of 2,500W. While propane-powered, it provides 1,800 rated watts and 2,000 starting watts. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
WEN’s Auto Fuel Selection technology automatically selects the fuel source (LPG or gasoline) depending on availability and prioritizes LPG. Thus, if a propane tank with enough LPG is connected, the generator will automatically use LPG. If no propane tank is connected, or if there is not enough LPG remaining in the tank, the generator will use gasoline.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Regarding its running time, the DF250iX, with a 1.2 gallon fuel capacity can operate for around 6 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 17 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.28 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the DF250iX produces a clean sine wave, with a <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Since the WEN DF250iX is an inverter generator, its closed design (L19 x W11.5 x H18.2 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The DF250iX is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 48.5 lbs. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
When the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the DF250iX to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
From a security standpoint, the product offers a low fuel automatic shutdown, an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from WEN's CO Watchdog carbon monoxide detection. This system measures the accumulation of poisonous CO gas while the generator is running. If the level of CO gas gets too high, the CO Watchdog system will automatically shut down the generator.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the WEN DF250iX also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, propane hose and funnel.
The WEN DF250iX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN DF250iX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF250iX compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- With a dry weight of 48.5 pounds, the WEN DF250iX finds itself in the expected weight range for inverter generators able to produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM2000i, weighing just 34.2 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 52 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar type and power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As for its autonomy, the DF250iX, with an autonomy of around 6 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen2200, with around 10 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.2 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.11 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the WEN DF250iX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Watchdog
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Auto Fuel Selection technology
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Decent weight (48.5 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||2,250 W||1,800 W|
|Starting watts||2,500 W||2,000 W|
|Running amps||18.8 amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h||17 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19 x 11.5 x 18.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF250iX is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1482 W||2482 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1795 W||2215 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1760 W||1760 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.