No CO sensor
Zoom on the WEN DF250i
In a nutshell, the WEN DF250i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the WEN DF250i allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 2,250W and a starting wattage of 2,500W. If propane-powered, it gives 1,800 rated watts and 2,000 starting watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
WEN’s Auto Fuel Selection technology automatically selects the fuel source (LPG or gasoline) depending on availability and prioritizes LPG. Thus, if a propane tank with enough LPG is connected, the generator will automatically use LPG. If no propane tank is connected, or if there is not enough LPG remaining in the tank, the generator will use gasoline.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the DF250i can operate for around 6 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH), or for around 17 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.28 GPH) using propane.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the DF250i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
As the WEN DF250i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L19 x W11.5 x H18.2 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
With a weight of only 48.5 lbs, the DF250i may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
The light indicators show you if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the DF250i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
As for its security measures, the device features a low fuel automatic shutdown, an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the WEN DF250i also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, tool kit and funnel.
The WEN DF250i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The WEN DF250i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF250i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 48.5 lbs, the WEN DF250i belongs in the expected weight range for inverters which can produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of only 34.2 lbs.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 52 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar type and power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 6 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the DF250i is on the low end when compared to other inverter generators of a similar power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen2200, reaching around 10 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.2 GPH. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen2200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.11 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the WEN DF250i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Auto Fuel Selection technology
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Decent weight (48.5 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||2,250 W||1,800 W|
|Starting watts||2,500 W||2,000 W|
|Running amps||18.8 amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h||17 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19 x 11.5 x 18.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF250i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1790 W||1790 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1790 W||2380 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1760 W||1760 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.