ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 30
No CO sensor
Zoom on the WEN DF250i
In a nutshell, the WEN DF250i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile WEN DF250i provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 2,250W along with a peak wattage of 2,500W. While propane-powered, it provides 1,800 rated watts and 2,000 starting watts. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
WEN’s Auto Fuel Selection technology automatically selects the fuel source (LPG or gasoline) depending on availability and prioritizes LPG. Thus, if a propane tank with enough LPG is connected, the generator will automatically use LPG. If no propane tank is connected, or if there is not enough LPG remaining in the tank, the generator will use gasoline.
Enjoying a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The DF250i, with a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, reaches a run time of around 6 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 17 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.28 GPH) with propane.
The DF250i generates a clean sine wave: providing <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Since the WEN DF250i is an inverter generator, its closed design (L19 x W11.5 x H18.2 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The DF250i is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 48.5 lbs. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
The light indicators show you if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the DF250i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
Security-wise, this product benefits from a low fuel automatic shutdown, an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the WEN DF250i also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, funnel and tool kit.
The WEN DF250i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The WEN DF250i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF250i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a weight of 48.5 pounds, the WEN DF250i places in the expected weight range of the inverter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM2000i, weighing just 34.2 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 52 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- The DF250i's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its type and power range, as it reaches only around 6 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse iGen2200, which is able to run for around 10 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.2 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.11 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the WEN DF250i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Auto Fuel Selection technology
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Decent weight (48.5 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||2,250 W||1,800 W|
|Starting watts||2,500 W||2,000 W|
|Running amps||18.8 amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h||17 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19 x 11.5 x 18.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF250i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1482 W||2482 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1795 W||2215 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1760 W||1760 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
Bought one of these at the end of September, 2022. It is my understanding that this is a new model in the WEN line, just released in August. Anyway, I filled the oil, added gas, and it started on the third pull. Let it warm up for a few minutes and then added a load (my leaf blower). The generator sped up just like it is supposed to when under load, and immediately dropped back to idle speed when I turned the leaf blower off. It runs very quiet at idle and even when under load it isn’t that loud. Over the next hour I plugged a few different things into it- just to vary the operating conditions, but overall I am happy with my purchase and it seems to work just fine. I also ordered the $10 magnetic-tipped oil plug to deal with any metallic debris that might be floating around in the crankcase, but come on WEN- this should be including this as standard.