Zoom on the WEN DF250i
In summary, the WEN DF250i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the WEN DF250i allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 2250W and a starting wattage of 2500W. If propane-powered, it gives 1800 rated watts and 2000 starting watts. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
WEN’s Auto Fuel Selection technology automatically selects the fuel source (LPG or gasoline) depending on availability and prioritizes LPG. Thus, if a propane tank with enough LPG is connected, the generator will automatically use LPG. If no propane tank is connected, or if there is not enough LPG remaining in the tank, the generator will use gasoline.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than rainfall). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The DF250i, with a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, reaches a run time of around 6 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 17 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.28 GPH) with propane.
The DF250i generates a clean sine wave: providing <1.2% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L19 x W11.5 x H18.2 in), the WEN DF250i, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Since the DF250i weighs only 48.5 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the DF250i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off, an overload protection (circuit breaker) and a low fuel automatic shutdown, giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the WEN DF250i also comes with several accessories, including: funnel, tool kit and propane hose.
The WEN DF250i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The WEN DF250i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF250i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its weight is 48.5 pounds, the WEN DF250i falls in the expected weight range of the inverters in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of just 34.2 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 52 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 6 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the DF250i is on the low end when compared to other inverter generators of a similar power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Lifan ESI 2500iER-EFI, reaching around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.2 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.11 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the WEN DF250i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Auto Fuel Selection technology
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Decent weight (48.5 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||2250 W||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2500 W||2000 W|
|Running amps||18.8 amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h||17 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19 x 11.5 x 18.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF250i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1790 W||1790 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1790 W||2380 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1760 W||1760 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.