Zoom on the WEN DF1200X
In a nutshell, the WEN DF1200X is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Homeowners who wish to power almost all appliances in their house under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the WEN DF1200X delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 9,500W and a peak wattage of 12,000W. When propane-powered, it has 9,000 rated watts and 11,000 peak watts.
This generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The running time of the DF1200X, with its 8.2 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 7.5 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 1.09 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 4.3 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.09 GPH).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this WEN unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, as the DF1200X holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the WEN DF1200X, which are L29.1 x W28.4 x H25.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 211.6 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The DF1200X's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
The unit also benefits from WEN's CO Watchdog carbon monoxide detection. This system measures the accumulation of poisonous CO gas while the generator is running. If the level of CO gas gets too high, the CO Watchdog system will automatically shut down the generator.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the WEN DF1200X also comes with several accessories, including: oil, funnel, tool kit and propane hose. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The WEN DF1200X is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The WEN DF1200X versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF1200X compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- At a weight of 211.6 pounds, the WEN DF1200X places in the expected weight range of the dual fuel generators in the 9000-10000 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Westinghouse iGen11000DFc, weighing just 187.4 pounds.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the DF1200X, reaching around 7.5 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other dual fuel products of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen11000DFc, reaching around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank's capacity and thus, doesn't say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 1.09 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen11000DFc, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.66 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 9000-10000W dual fuel generators, the WEN DF1200X is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Watchdog
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Decent weight (211.6 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)
|500 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|29.1 x 28.4 x 25.5 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF1200X is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|Electric fry pan
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|Air compressor (1 hp)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.